3522 or 3787?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjl110

Reaction score
So I'm going to get materials to make my BDSA on my next LHBS run. I plan on washing the yeast as I want to make several different styles of Belgians, particularly a BDSA, IPA, and possibly a stout. Research in the forum seems to suggest that 3787 makes a great BDSA, and 3522 makes a great IPA, but is one strain acceptable for both recipes? Will 3787 make a decent IPA or 3522 make a decent BDSA? Thanks for your help! :mug:

I've never made an IPA with it, but I find 3787 to be a very versatile yeast, and I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way. I suppose this doesn't speak to your question exactly, but if you plan on repitching across various styles, you can hardly go wrong using this yeast.

I use them both. I do not know about using them for other styles but for a BDSA I slightly prefer 3787. But both will give you good results.

I find 3522 slightly cleaner and less of a strong Belgian taste, but only slightly so it may be better suited for what you are trying to do.

I would suggest trying them both so you can decide which you like.

Back