Gelatin Finings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genes

Reaction score
What, if any, success have you had with gelatin finings?

This beer, even though it is a wheat, has literally no clarity. I added a bunch of fruit during the cool down (170) trying not to set the pectins but it seems that didn't work.

@mcaple1 most times I wouldn't care. In this case it's for other people, and I would like to send it off to competition.

Hmm. I use Irish Moss to good effect -but to that end, I've never tried brewing a fruit beer or even a a beer that is SUPPOSED to be cloudy.
When I bring kegs to a party or event (in the ice-driven porta-kegger) I always have a small sign with a picture of the beer style under that tap, with a few factoids the average beer drinker wouldn't know -when I had one that was cloudy (and really wasn't supposed to be) -chill haze and all that, I expect -though some cloudiness remained through out the glass, it never got warm before it was consumed. It was a favorite flavor-wise, anyway, I just put a little blurb on the sheet under that tap that stated the cloudiness was appropriate to the beer style, and that I did NOT filter my beers since it robbed the beer of some of the characteristics it had. OK, so, I lied (grin) but it worked!

Latest posts

Back