Ranko for heating element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewslikeaking

Reaction score
Has anyone used a Johnson temp controller (also called ranko) for controlling a mash in the heating element. I know these units are usually used to control fermentation temperatures but since I know nothing about electronics and wiring I want to buy one of these to keep my recirculating mash at a steady temp

Thanks that's good advice. I'll go for a pid then. I think I'm gonna a need two 120v heating elements because I don't have a 240v outlet in my apt. Is it possible to get controllers that take two heat elements? Or is it possible to wire one up?

You may not need 2 elements to hold the mash temps. I'm running only 120v on my rims setup

And how big is your system. I'm building a 15gallon system but will primarily be using it for 5 gallons and the occasional barley wine or imperial beer

You may not need 2 elements to hold the mash temps. I'm running only 120v on my rims setup

And how big is your system. I'm building a 15gallon system but will primarily be using it for 5 gallons and the occasional barley wine or imperial beer

How big is your system. I'm trying to build a 15gallon rims system and although I'll mostly be using it for 5 gallon batches there may be times I want to brew 10 gallon and barleywines.

Back