RIM-Blackberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
I had a razor that took a dump on me and did not qualify for the rebates on a new phone so i picked one up off of ebay. A blackberry 8703. I did not concider myself technically challenged until now.

I think this thing might brew for me if I knew what button to push:drunk:

Ha..welcome to Crack. Once you get adjusted youll love it. Not trying to start a flame war, but i equate Blackberry to the Anti-Windows Mobile device. They just work. I was always messing with my Windows Mobile devices to work right, constant reboots, etc.

I have the Storm and love it. Its quick and can do a ton of stuff.

Blackberry is ok.

I was wildly underwhelmed however given the raging winds
of Blackberry followers.

I returned mine, too expensive for the data plan!

Not sure what you're using for email - but if you are a Windows jockey & using Outlook - consider signing up with a company called Link2Exchange:
Hosted Exchange Business Email with Mobile Sync by Link2Exchange

They will host your BES for a fixed monthly fee, and allow you to synchronize email, contacts, and calendars, as if you were sitting at your desktop. Great for the small business person who wants a more powerful email solution than the standard Blackberry WebClient.

It's also worthwhile to sign up with the Blackberry users forum & get a tip of the day type of email & easy access to a group of fellow BB users.
BlackBerry - BlackBerry 101

Good luck with it.

If you work in a corporate environment, they may already have BES running on Exchange servers. Inquire with your IT department.

Hell Yeah! Have you had any problems with yours bugeater? I got mine with the first shipment and haven't had any lag or other problems that others have complained about.

I know I functioned before I got my Blackberry... but I don't know how I did it. It truly is a Crackberry!

I lived by my BB Curve until I got an iPhone. Yes, it's hooked up to our Exchange Server at work and push's email, calendar and contacts, too.

The only reason I switched is because of the Apps (Applications). This is a game changer. Once I fully understood what Apps were and how they worked, it was a no brainer. Other people in the office have the new Bold and love it, but it ain't got the thousands of Apps to make the phone an actual multifunction device and mini computer.

I have a VNC App that let's me dial into my home computer from the iPhone and see and control the screen of my home computer in real time from the iPhone. Pretty cool...

Hell Yeah! Have you had any problems with yours bugeater? I got mine with the first shipment and haven't had any lag or other problems that others have complained about.

I know I functioned before I got my Blackberry... but I don't know how I did it. It truly is a Crackberry!

Nope..no problems at all. Love the Storm.

I lived by my BB Curve until I got an iPhone. Yes, it's hooked up to our Exchange Server at work and push's email, calendar and contacts, too.

The only reason I switched is because of the Apps (Applications). This is a game changer. Once I fully understood what Apps were and how they worked, it was a no brainer. Other people in the office have the new Bold and love it, but it ain't got the thousands of Apps to make the phone an actual multifunction device and mini computer.

I have a VNC App that let's me dial into my home computer from the iPhone and see and control the screen of my home computer in real time from the iPhone. Pretty cool...

I understand the iPhone has a host of apps, but when it comes to useful apps Blackberry sets the bar for business productivity and now the new OS adds lots of media tools and social networking apps, and other apps to make it more personal. I am not bashing Apple in the least. I am a loyal Mac user. But i can do everything I need to do on my Blackberry and more, including connect to the office via VPN and control a desktop or server. I have browsed the iTunes app store for apps for my iPod Touch and while there are some useful apps, most just look "Neat" but don't have a lot of practical use.

I'm pretty sure RIM is coming out with a similar app store for the storm (maybe BB's in general?), this spring comes to mind.

I'm sure once that gets out there there will be a whole slew of apps just as awesome (and retarded) as on the iphone.

Ha..welcome to Crack. Once you get adjusted youll love it. Not trying to start a flame war, but i equate Blackberry to the Anti-Windows Mobile device. They just work. I was always messing with my Windows Mobile devices to work right, constant reboots, etc.

wm5 i had tons of issues. wm6 has been rock solid. thing i like about wm is the apps available. last time i rebooted was to swap batterys. though i have to say i have seen some pics from the crack and they do take some nice pics.

BTW you don't need Blackberry Enterprise Server to pull your
mail from an exchange server. Just set up all the account
information manually in your BB and it will pull emails.

BTW you don't need Blackberry Enterprise Server to pull your
mail from an exchange server. Just set up all the account
information manually in your BB and it will pull emails.

For Mail, you are correct. You can use your Outlook Web Access credentials and host name. This will push email. But this will not synchronize calendars, contacts, tasks, etc. You will need BES for that.

If you work in a corporate environment, they may already have BES running on Exchange servers. Inquire with your IT department.

Don't forget Domino!!! When the old admin we had retired they placed a manual on my desk and told me to start reading. Same with BES. :drunk:

Pretty soon I'll be upgrading to 8.5.0 from 6.5.4 all while moving to a VM server and off of the AS400 our Domino app/admin server is currently on.

Welcome to my Hell... :ban: :ban:

Back