BAD MOLDS. How much is to much? How about smell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonemarrow

Reaction score
I made Bel Pesae a few weeks ago. It must be rubbed with salt water for a few weeks and aged. With my cheese fridge at 50 degrees it developed several small spots of different color molds. I cut them off and washed the cheese. I will wax it as suggested. At what point do you say "no that is too much mold" and toss it out?? What about smell? Cheese's all have their own smell but can I know for certain other than an ammonia smell that its bad?

I'd highly recommend using vacuum bags (e.g., Foodsaver) rather than wax. If the wax develops mold under it, you have to entirely remove the wax, then rewax. It's a bit of a mess. I've had really good success with vac bags (I use the 11" wide rolls and cut to size).

I made Bel Pesae a few weeks ago. It must be rubbed with salt water for a few weeks and aged. With my cheese fridge at 50 degrees it developed several small spots of different color molds. I cut them off and washed the cheese. I will wax it as suggested. At what point do you say "no that is too much mold" and toss it out?? What about smell? Cheese's all have their own smell but can I know for certain other than an ammonia smell that its bad?

I've seen some pretty nasty looking cheeses:) I don't think any amount of mold growing ON the cheese is bad. However, you don't want the mold growing into it (at least I'd avoid that). If you're regularly brushing with brine you should be able to control the growth.

Hey, lets get some pictures up in here!

I will remember to get pictures next time. (I wish I had taken pictures of the partial eaten wheel I left on the counter, my puppy can reach further than I thought. Probably not a good culture from that.)

I will remember to get pictures next time. (I wish I had taken pictures of the partial eaten wheel I left on the counter, my puppy can reach further than I thought. Probably not a good culture from that.)

My dog has gotten to several wheels of my cheese. She buried a couple of them (I found a while later). I have a special drawer I built for keeping cheeses on the counter so she can't get to them now.

Back