Yeast from commercial beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bionut

Reaction score
Hello guys,
as i told you in other threads, liquid yeast is hard and expensive to get in my country, even harder in the hot wheater.
I have slants with WLP001, wyeast1217 and a wyeast wit yeast that i don't remeber it's name. Now i want to brew a high gravity belgian ale, tripel maybe, and i don't have the yeast for that. I tought that i could harvest some yeast from a belgian beer bottle from the store (living in Europe the belgian beers aren't too old on the shelfs). Can you recomend me a beer that is bottled with the primary ferentation yeast? After that i could isolate some colonies from a plate.
A good season beer that i could take yeast from is also good :)

Westmalle and La Chouffe are some of the more readily available ones that use the primary strains in the bottle. I've successfully grown from those.

Thanks, i've allready bought a Westmalle Dubbel. I will try with La Chouffe also, i just didn't saw you post in time. In the store La Chouffe seemed to my that i didn't had any sediment on the bottom.

They didn't had Saison Dupont where i was, i am looking for it. I've also bought a Barbar Bok beer, do you have any ideea what yeast is in the bottle? I liked the beer.

I've successfully grown yeast from bottles of Chimay red cap, Rochefort and Duvel. Good odds the ones I was working with had a tougher handling time as well, had to make it to Canada.

They didn't had Saison Dupont where i was, i am looking for it. I've also bought a Barbar Bok beer, do you have any ideea what yeast is in the bottle? I liked the beer.

I'm not sure about that one, I've never heard of anyone trying to grow from that. You can also grow from Duvel bottles. There's a bit of debate about whether it's the primary strain or one of two strains they use but it worked well for me. Westmalle and Chouffe are defintiely the primary strain though and they're widely available.

Huyghe (delerium), St Bernardus, Bosteels (Kwak & tripel karmeliet) and Affligem don't use primary strains so avoid those for that purpose although their beers are decent.

I have read in "How to brew like a monk" that Maresdous 8 is bottled with the primary strain, that is the original Duvel yeast. They got their yeast for Duvel a long time ago. In the book is also mentioned that Duvel has two different strains, so it will be hard to mantaine the right proportions. I also plan to slant those yeast, so i stay away if beer with yeast blends.

Back