first lager started fermenting again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CobraAgent

Reaction score
my first lager has been in fridge since august 10. kept at a constant 46 degrees.for the last 10 days no activity in air lock. (no hydro readings broke yet aNother one) took it out of fridge this morning to bottle. while it was sitting on table cleaned aNs sanitized bottles got priming sugar ready cleaned all hoses. i am fixing to put racking cane in and airlock is going crazy temp reading was 65 degrees. i knew that fermenting at high temp could produce off flavors........so iadded priming sugar bottled and cranked temp down on fridge and stuck all bottles back in fridge. did i royally screw this up.

typing this from my phone sorry for all the run ons and lack of commas

there are dozens of threads on here addressing this. Your beer is fine, it was not fermenting, it was off-gassing. As liquid warms up it spews off CO2 because it can't hold as much CO2 at warmer temps.

So nothing to worry about..!

Sounds like my first lager! All that CO2 coming out of suspension freaked me out too!:p

I assume you took the necessary hydrometer readings to be sure the fermentation was complete. If so, you have no worries.

In the fridge the beer can hold lots of CO2. When you warm the beer up to bottle CO2 comes out of suspension, thus the airlock activity.

For my first lager, I bottled and put my bottles in a plastic bin in case they exploded and posted a thread, just like yours. :tank:

Now, I usually ferment a while, then after a couple weeks let the temp come up to the 60s for a while just to make sure the yeast cleans up. Then I lager for a few weeks at 38 or so.

Relax, you should be fine. Take the bottles out of the fridge and put them a bin so the yeast can process the priming sugar.

well nice to know my fridge wont explode. should i keep them in fridge or try to condition some of them at room temp. if i leave them in fridge will it carbonate correctly

Hmm. Lager yeast should work in the fridge, but I bet it takes a long time.

I would let them carb at room temp.

I wonder what the smart guys will say.

I don't do a lot of lagers, but I carb them at room temp. Then let them condition (not even sure that's the right word in this case) back in the fridge for 2 weeks before trying them, minus the one I tested for carbonation and the 3-4 i took out during the 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back