First cider recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inchrisin

Reaction score
I'm planning on going up to an apple orchard this Sunday. I'm going to try to buy a few gallons of apple cider that I'll ferment soon. I've brewed lots of beer, done a few wines, and a few meads, but never made a cider. I've got kegging equipment, or I could just bottle the stuff. I'm pretty flexible as to what I'm going to do with this, but I tend to like drier wines. I'm not sure if that matters at all when it comes to cider.

I'd like some help/advice on creating a recipe. Thanks in advance.

it's pretty easy. you need more of a strategy than a recipe. you've got the first third already- get some fresh juice. make sure it has no preservatives- no sorbate etc.
dry cider is really easy- add some yeast to your cider and wait!
slightly more controlled method: add campden / k-metabisulfite 1 tab/5L or 1/10 tsp per L or 0.44 g / L to knock down microorganisms, unless your stuff is pasteurized then the k-meta is (literally) overkill
wait a day, add some pectic enzyme, add yeast nutrient and pitch yeast.
my ciders have always cleared without pectic enzyme, and have always fermented fine without nutrient, but you can't go wrong with those additions.
most juice will be in the 1.040-1.055 range, so if you want more than 6-7% you need to add your choice of something sugary.
pitch an ale or wine yeast, read the sticky at the top of the cider page for a discussion on the merits of various yeast strains. safeale04, nottingham, champagne are popular choices
wait until it's done, any 'normal' yeast will take your cider below 1.000, this can be days, weeks, or a month, then you can rack to a secondary and bulk age it for a few months like with wine (that's what i do), some bottle straight from primary, some age in primary.
prime (same as for beer) and bottle for dry and fizzy cider, or stabilize and sweeten (same as for sweet wine) for semi-sweet still cider, or stabilize sweeten and keg for semi-sweet and sparkling
for my taste, sparkling dry cider is where it's at, but it can really take a few months to lose the harsh edge so don't pass judgement too soon on a young cider. sweetened cider is generally more drinkable sooner
bob's your uncle

Great advice Dinnerstick. Thanks for the guidance. I'm still deciding if I want to keg this stuff. That will be the deciding factor for if I put potassium sorbate into the cider. I'll probably let it drop all the way and do a split batch. I've got enough experience fermenting I feel comfy with making some experimental batches. I'll give them all about 6 months and see what I'll do next time.

Do you recommend fermenting on the warm end or cool end of these yeast strains? From your info, I'm assuming esters aren't a bad thing if English yeast is popular. I'll tend to ferment around 67F ambient.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back