Brewer's Hardware Stir Plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hatfieldenator

Reaction score
This weekend I finally got to test out my brand new stir plate from Brewer's Hardware. I thought I would give some feedback to anyone interested in these. Overall the contruction of the unit is well done. They are certainly not built like tanks like the expensive ceramic/metal ones. But, for the price its a well made, nice looking item.
As far as performance, I think they are perfectly adequate for a homebrewer's needs. I was able to make a 1.6 L starter with no problem. I don't think I would try much more than that because its not very powerful, but for a 1.5L or so starter it did a fine job without any hangups.
So, I give this product two thumbs up. You simply can't beat the price of these and its a really good deal IMO.

As for going bigger, I use a 5L flask on mine and filled to 4.5L it keeps everything in motion just fine. I would also feel fine taking it to a full 5L and I'm sure it would keep up just fine.

I am interested in buying one of these but I have a few questions. I have read multiple posts and have seen differing opinions on what this stir plate is capable of. Is it able to get a top to bottom vortex in a 2L starter? Some say they have used them with 5L flasks, are you able to get a vortex in those?

I definately agree you cant beat the price. But im just curious what you are giving up for the discount

I have that one too, and I have been able to get a good vortex in a gallon jug, with about a 3.5 qt starter.

I haven't tried it with a five liter, but it can pull a vortex fine in two liters, not that it actually needs to be going that hard to be effective. I just get mine swirling until there is an obvious dimple on top.

I haven't tried it with a five liter, but it can pull a vortex fine in two liters, not that it actually needs to be going that hard to be effective. I just get mine swirling until there is an obvious dimple on top.

Yeah I'm not sure why you are looking for a top to bottom vortex out of a 5L as that is just overkill IMO... my stirplate has been doing just fine with 4+ liter starters for over a year and I've never had an issue.

Thats good to know. I just wanted to make sure that it was an effective product. I was going to make my own DIY stir plate but for the price this one it just makes sense to buy it.

Back