First batch ever...So many things to remember

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnthonyC

Reaction score
I knew I'd forget something. Looks like I introduced hot side aeration like it was my job. I thought I'd get a head start on oxygenating the wort while it was cooling in the ice bath. So I gave it some nice vigorous stirs from 160 down through 90 degrees which is where dumped it vigorously into the fermenter and topped it off with water. I pitched the yeast a bit warm at about 85 degrees but I was impatient. To compensate I put the fermenter on an ice pack, placed a damp towel around it, and turned a fan on it. It feels slightly below room temp now.

I was so proud of myself until I remembered the term HSA. Crap! :eek:

So, I guess I probably shortened the shelf life, perhaps added some cloudiness to the final product, and maybe introduced some off flavors. Anything else my over zealous aeration might cause? Any idea to what degree can I expect the above symptoms?

:tank:

Hot side aeration is something more of a concern for AG....don't worry, aerating the heck out of the wort before pitching yeast is actually a good thing! Though, next time kill two birds with one stone and wait for vigorous stirring for mixing up your extract with top off water. More then likely, you were getting more of your air in when the temp was going down, so I don't think you'll have HSA. As long as you kept lowering the temp of the fermentor after you pitched the yeast, you should still wind up with some drinkable beer.

RDWHAB (since you don't have homebrew yet, relax, don't worry, have a beer at this moment)! :mug:

That's good news. I guess I'll save screwing up aeration when I start doing all grain.

But I think I should still consume it as quickly as possible. You know...because of the aeration...shortened shelf life...umm...yeah.

:drunk:

Welcome to HBT!

You didn't do anything to your brew. I vigorously stirred hot wort while chilling for a couple years before I ever heard of HSA and it never did a darn thing to any of them.

After I heard of it, I kept vigorously stirring hot wort for the next three years and guess what? It never did a darn thing to them either.

But I think I should still consume it as quickly as possible. You know...because of the aeration...shortened shelf life...umm...yeah.

:drunk:

Ah, typical beginer response: the correct homebrewer response: I need to drink my brew quickly to move on to another brew! :D

HSA is not really anything to be concerned with. Sort of like yeast autolysis, sasquatch and chupacabras.....
The only thing you did that may be the least bit questionable is pitching at 85. No real problem, but it is better to pitch at or slightly below your final ferm temp. Still, no real problem at all.

A vigorous stir is simply not going to do anything to your beer. And when you pour it into the fermenter, you WANT to aerate it so the yeast has plenty of oxygen to work with.

To better understand, what issues could arise from pitching yeast at that temperture? Would that simply make it more difficult for the yeasties to take off running or introduce off flavors?

HSA is not really anything to be concerned with. Sort of like yeast autolysis, sasquatch and chupacabras.....
The only thing you did that may be the least bit questionable is pitching at 85. No real problem, but it is better to pitch at or slightly below your final ferm temp. Still, no real problem at all.

Unlike nessie and the yeti, HSA and autolysis do exist. But, you are right that they are not major concerns, just don't do things that will obviously cause them.

Referencing above, HSA can occur IF hot wort is aerated and the beer is stored for a long period. HSA is more prevalent in lightly colored, lower ABV beers. Autolysis occurs IF beer is stored over the yeast cake for a long time (months) under adverse conditions (high heat). Unless you just abuse the heck out of your beer, these problems are not going to be a concern.

Now, the high fermentation temperatures are going to mess with your yeast. Pitch and maintain the fermentation within the midrange of your yeast's temperature comfort range and you'll see a marked improvement in the quality and consistency of your brew.

Unlike nessie and the yeti, HSA and autolysis do exist. But, you are right that they are not major concerns, just don't do things that will obviously cause them.

Oh, I never said that they didn't exist. I only said that they are not something to be concerned about. And you take that back about Nessie! He is real.... REAL I tell you! :cross:

Latest posts

Back