Home Printing Labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kwill-bot

Reaction score
I'm going to be printing my labels off of my work printer. :drunk:

I'll be donating a couple of them to buddies and assume they'll be exposed to condensation/water. Anyone know of a label paper that won't run with moisture, or of a way to laminate your labels?

Other options for a cheap newbie?

basic brewing radio did a podcast on this a few months back, there are several options available, www.basicbrewingradio.com. if you read some other posts in this forum via doing a search, having the labels be able to come off with just water is a good thing, it makes cleaning the bottles easier. As such some peopel use milk to attach their label paper. Having the ink run when you get them wet is not good, and this is more a function of the ink rather than the paper you use, so I think you need a color lazerjet printer to get this in gear.

You don't have a laser printer at work?

I got actual label paper(with water-activated glue) from austinhomebrew for not very much that feeds and prints fine in a professional printer.

what is considered a "professional printer"? I've never seen a printer that's printing as a hobby and does taxes the majority of the time! haha just giving you a hard time.
I read a trick earlier today on here about spraying teh labels with hair spray to protect the ink from running when getting wet.

I recently printed my labels on normal paper, used milk to attach, and once dried, applied clear packing tape. It sealed the label in, and even though they got wet (the colors darkened) when I put them in with ice/water, the labels stayed intact.

When it came time to remove them, I let them soak in OxyClean for like an hour, and the tape came off very easily. Worked well for just a little extra effort but no special equipment.

I was just going to start searching for info on a similar topic. I want to be able to reapply my labels after cleaning the bottles and not worry about bleeding or ripping the material.

I use clear acrylic spray paint meant for paper that I get at a craft store. It doesn't darken the paper as much and seals it so it won't run. Just spray a coat or two in the sheets, cut out the lables and stick em on.

Water would get in on the edges if they were cut after the paint was sprayed. I can't attest to how well the method would work if they were sprayed after, but it's worth a shot I suppose. My labels usually have dates on them though.

I was just going to start searching for info on a similar topic. I want to be able to reapply my labels after cleaning the bottles and not worry about bleeding or ripping the material.
Has anyone ever considered using window stickies? I get these occasionally at car shows, they're classic-friendly, non-adhesive static cling deals.

I have no idea. I think the trophy shop I got the plaques for my car show this past weekend makes them. Maybe Sheila will give me a sample with the promise that if it works I'll buy more...

time to make a phone call :D

I use bumper sticker stock from Office Depot. They attach firmly to the bottle, peel off easily in one piece without leaving any residue when you want to remove and the ink will not run even when printed on a home ink jet printer.

Back