How would you set up your Cornys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer:30

Chief Bottle Washer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A friend of mine gave me four Cornys, and so I am learning about kegging to get out of bottle hell. I have been reading threads and getting a feel for equipment that I need. I guess my question is about what way to go. Here is the deal. I have an extra full sized fridge in the basement that I want to set up to hold three cornys. I haven't decided to tap the door yet (wife would freak), so what I was thinking is maybe just get a small enough CO2 tank (5#?) to fit inside with the three cornys and spit it after the regulator to pressurize all three. But from what I am reading it sound like a 5# tank on three cornys won't last? But a 10# tank won't fit in the fridge right? What is a realistic plan? Opinions? Thanks

You could get a large CO2 tank, keep it outside of the fridge, just run a hose in. Btw, I think a 5# will dispense about 8 kegs, Ive only completely dispensed 2, and am halfway through 2 more, the level of CO2 has dropped less than half. Just watch for leaks

My 5# tank last about 3 months with 3 cornys on at a time. I think I went through about 6 kegs in that time.

You might want to consider putting your holes in the side of your refridgerator. From what I understand all those hoses running to the door are a hassle

abracadabra said:
You might want to consider putting your holes in the side of your refridgerator. From what I understand all those hoses running to the door are a hassle

Just make sure there are no freon lines in the side first though... I've only been researching kegerator building for about 1-2 days now and have seen more than one horror story regarding drilling through the side and/or top of certain fridge units into freon lines...

i gues the question for you is, how much beer do you brew? and how fast is your consumption?

if the answer to both of those is not much, then a 5# tank will be fine for you. if you do a decent amount, you may want to consider getting two 5# tanks if you want to keep it in the fridge, or go with a larger tank outside the fridge.

many people do the kegs in the fridge and pour with picnic taps.

honestly though, i think you would get tired of that pretty quickly, at least i would.

make sure to check everything for leaks, and to use check valves in the gas line.

best of luck!

Back