Bucket v.s. Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Why do most use a carboy? Is it because of the seal on the bucket lid? Buckets are easier to store. Seems the bucket is easier to clean too. That being said, anyone have a link for clear 6 gallon buckets? Many restaraunts use them for ice transfers

Edit: found these, looks like they don't have a rubber seal

http://www.globeequipment.com/Bar-Supplies/Ice-Handling/Ice-Buckets/SI-6000

I used to use glass carboys and had one break while cleaning it. I never knew that the sides were so thin. I have a 6.5 glass carboy that I use for 5 gallon batches, but since I went to 10 gallon brew days, I just use 2 better bottles. If you see a glass container ever break, you'll go to plastic too!

I have used a bucket in the past - but my only bucket is used for bottling

Butchv12

I used to use glass carboys and had one break while cleaning it. I never knew that the sides were so thin. I have a 6.5 glass carboy that I use for 5 gallon batches, but since I went to 10 gallon brew days, I just use 2 better bottles. If you see a glass container ever break, you'll go to plastic too!

I have used a bucket in the past - but my only bucket is used for bottling

Butchv12

I use the Better Bottle and bucket for bottling like you

I don't know if more of us actually use glass carboys than buckets. It may just seem that way because you see more pics of carboys posted on here than buckets because, well- a picture of a bucket is just a picture of a bucket since you can't see what's inside.

Personally, I use buckets more often for beer because they're easier to move around, easier to clean, I can mix Starsan in them and use them to sanitize stuff, etc. But I still use carboys for mead, apfelwein, and smaller (3.5-4 gallon) batches of beer.

Many people use a bucket for brewing with no ill effects. It's not preferred for long-term aging, say more than 2 months (this is personal preference), but it's pretty much all I use now. I like the OP's link but I don't see any kind of lid.

At any rate, buckets are easy to get into to clean and are pretty cheap at about $15 each at a homebrew store. That includes the lid usually. I think the Better Bottle plastic carboys are like $25.

Carboys are for wine. Buckets are better for beer for many reasons; pretty much every reason actually. Cheaper, easier to clean, easier to store, dryhop, fill, empty, carry. Safer, cheaper.

+1 on the buckets. although I do have a couple better bottles that I use. Another reason why I like buckets better (along with all the stuff above) is that my heater wrap fits nice an snugly around the bucket. The better bottles have ridges which lift the heater wrap off the bottle reducing contact area. Not a huge deal, but worth mentioning.

I use glass carboys because when I started I didnt know anything and thought glass was the only way to go. They are cool, look good, and being able to watch me fementation is fun.

Having said all that, I just set my buddy up, whos just starting out, with buckets and Ill be buying buckets for myself as the need arises.

The ease of use, cost, and safety concerns make buckets the right choice for me.

I use almost all buckets for beer, and for wine primary. I rarely use a carboy for beer. They're heavy, they're fragile, and buckets are much easier to handle. I have several big 8 gallon buckets, and I never get a blow off. I love buckets!

Buckets get my vote, I have one glass carboy and use it for high gravity beers that need to age for a long time but really like the easy of buckets so much more.

PS.. the carboy was given to me otherwise I would not have one at all.

I switched to buckets again recently and couldn't be happier. Easy to clean, easy to lift.

Glass carboys scare me. I can just imagine cleaning a slippery, heavy, fragile glass container and having it slip out of my hands. Buckets all the way for me.

I would have to say the majority of brewers actually use buckets. They're cheap, they're plentiful, and they're usually what is included in most starter kits.

Now as to -vs- like everything else it's not a contest, it's all a matter of preference what someone uses. Very few people give any real credence to the whole glass vs plastic idiocy. Most of us laugh when we hear those arguments bandied about. It's usually from the extremely noobish, and/or unscrupulous (or just plain ignorant) LHBS people trying to pimp an expensive glass carboy to the unsuspecting, rather than a cheaper (and just as fine) better bottle or plastic bucket.

The yeast don't care what they do their job in....In reality a fermenter is a fermenter is a fermenter.....glass, plastic, carboy, bucket, jerry can, keg, milk jug, ceramic crock, glass hurricane jar, stainless steel or plastic conicals, pet food storage vessels (vittle vaults), HD or Lowe's buckets, frosting buckets, water jugs, the old Mr Beer jug...All of those and anything you can think of, all work perfectly fine, and have been used by hundreds if not thousands of brewers...

No one type is better or worse than any other...good beer or crappy beer can be made in all of them, dependant onthe brewer, NOT what it's fermented in...

It's really just a matter of preference, nothing more....

It really isn't rocket science, it's really about using what works for you.

The reason I use glass, is because I had been told by someone who works at Bells that it is an issue with infection. He said that if you think about it a scratch in plastic is like the grand canyon for bacteria. I do wonder if there have been any studies that show a statistically different result for glass vs plastic in terms of infection. I have only ever heard anecdotal evidence both ways.

I use glass carboys because I like being able to see what's going on. I built myself a carboy cleaner so I'm not too worried about dropping one and having it shatter.

Why do most use a carboy? Is it because of the seal on the bucket lid? Buckets are easier to store. Seems the bucket is easier to clean too. That being said, anyone have a link for clear 6 gallon buckets? Many restaraunts use them for ice transfers

How about polycarbonate?
Found this bucket looks to be about 6 gal on the same website:
http://www.globeequipment.com/Kitch...ansport/Round-Food-Storage-Containers/RFSCW22

There is a lid on there as an accessory for about $7. Not sure how tight the seal is but maybe this could work like those Coopers fermentors that don't tight seal...

Only problem with clear is that it is probably a benefit overall that the bucket protects the beer from light. We don't bottle in clear bottles (well sometimes I do a few that way) maybe not a good idea really to ferment in clear containers either.

I have a 10 gallon bucket that is currently only used to store equipment, though I'll probably end up fermenting in it again if I run out of carboys. As has been previously stated, it's mainly a matter of personal preference, though there are pros and cons inherent to each one. Here's how I see it (I like lists):

Carboys
-Pros
-->Clarity, you can see your beer without opening fermenter
-->Less headspace for reduced oxygen exposure, ideal for prolonged aging
-->Smooth, hard surface doesn't harbour bacteria
-->Not oxygen permeable
-->If properly cared for, can outlive their owner
-Cons
-->Heavy
-->Fragile
-->Harder to clean
-->More expensive
-->Harder to store when not in use

Buckets
-Pros
-->Lightweight
-->Impact resistant
-->Easier access for cleaning
-->Usually much cheaper
-->Stackable for storing
-Cons
-->Can't see your beer without opening fermenter (except maybe PC buckets)
-->More headspace, not ideal for prolonged aging
-->Surface easily scratched, may increase infection risk
-->Many plastics are oxygen permeable
-->Tend to wear out over (a long) time

Again, it comes down to what your priorities are. Buckets do have a pretty solid edge when it comes to handling/cleaning, whereas carboys are the better choice for bulk aging and potential lifespan (you could use the same one for hundreds of years if you don't break it first).

You decide based on your own needs and don't listen to anyone who tells you that one or the other is the wrong choice for you.
:mug:

TS (or anyone else that is interested), I get clear 7.5 gallon buckets from my lhbs that are specifically made for brewing. The lids are designed so that they release the co2 and also expand outward with the pressure so you don't even need an airlock. They also are marked on the outside to measure your quantity (in liters though). I don't know the name of the company but I will find out next time I am in and get back to you....

Found a pic...

bucket 1.jpg

That's pretty cool. Does your LHBS have a website? Do you have a brand name? Just the clarity and markings is a pretty good deal. I don't see a handle though...

I use plastic for primary for smaller batches and my conical for lager batches.
I also use glass carboys for my cider and wines.
I just trust glass better for long term aging.
but I just dropped a 5 gallon glass carboy full of cider while I was racking it and putting it back in a aging shelf.
What a Mess that carboy was thick in places too. glass everywhere not too mention cider (I almost cried).
If there was something better for long term aging i would defiantly be interested though.

That's pretty cool. Does your LHBS have a website? Do you have a brand name? Just the clarity and markings is a pretty good deal. I don't see a handle though...

This is my lhbs website: http://www.biereetvin.com/en/qui.html

They don't have the fermenter on there and I don't know the brand name. Like I said above, I will get the info this weekend when I am there and post it here. The handles are right under the lid. You can see one of them on the left side of the bucket. I thought the lid was the coolest feature...

I usually use buckets for primary, heavier brew types because of krausen space. It really makes a mess when the air lock system of choice blows out or overflows. Short term cycle brews I also just use and keep in buckets.

"why do y need that much beer?" "in case I want to drink!!!"

The brew shop in Chico Ca. has 8 gal. buckets with or without discharge valves.

Found a pic...

Nice bucket........does it have a hancle? Interesting how I can't find a clear plastic bucket on the internet. Seems to me there is more interest on clear buckets than the Better Bottle. I guess it all has to do with how you market your product.

I use almost all buckets for beer, and for wine primary. I rarely use a carboy for beer. They're heavy, they're fragile, and buckets are much easier to handle. I have several big 8 gallon buckets, and I never get a blow off. I love buckets!

I use both (because I have both so why not :ban:) but buckets have one huge advantage that Yooper alluded to. With a larger bucket you have less of a chance of blow-off. All that yeast is being put to work instead of getting shot out of a tube. I think all of the other points I would mention have already been said, with the exception of one. Carboys are better eye candy :fro: Even with nothing inside them, they look nice and draw a lot of attention.

To answer the question "why do people use glass carboys", there are several reasons. First, glass is inert and will not take on odors...buckets do. Once a bucket takes on odor, it's time for a new bucket. Glass is very hard to scratch, buckets are very easy to scratch. Once the bucket is scratched, it's time for a new bucket. Glass allows you to see the fermentation. Not only is that cool, it also enables you to see how the fermentation is progressing, which is very helpful. Even if you opened a bucket (exposing the beer to oxygen), you can't see into the beer to evaluate the fermentation. As for cleaning, it's quite simple to clean a carboy: Just rinse the trub out, fill with hot water, add some PBW, and let it sit over night. 99% of the debris will be gone...if any is left, brush it.

The main reason the vast majority of experienced brewers use glass though, is probably cost savings (over time, they are cheaper) and sanitation. If you guys are still brewing in 5 years, I'd bet my store that you'll be using glass! :)

Anyway, that's the other side of the coin...

To answer the question "why do people use glass carboys", there are several reasons. First, glass is inert and will not take on odors...buckets do. Once a bucket takes on odor, it's time for a new bucket. Glass is very hard to scratch, buckets are very easy to scratch. Once the bucket is scratched, it's time for a new bucket. Glass allows you to see the fermentation. Not only is that cool, it also enables you to see how the fermentation is progressing, which is very helpful. Even if you opened a bucket (exposing the beer to oxygen), you can't see into the beer to evaluate the fermentation. As for cleaning, it's quite simple to clean a carboy: Just rinse the trub out, fill with hot water, add some PBW, and let it sit over night. 99% of the debris will be gone...if any is left, brush it.

The main reason the vast majority of experienced brewers use glass though, is probably cost savings (over time, they are cheaper) and sanitation. If you guys are still brewing in 5 years, I'd bet my store that you'll be using glass! :)

wanna bet?

PackerfaninSanDiego said:
wanna bet?

Can I get some of that action too? I've got 4 buckets going most of he time now and 3 carboys I use only for special circumstances. All of them are empty right now... When one of the buckets gets funky (none have yet, oxy clean seems to work just fine) I plan to use it for grain storage.

Uh...that may have been a bad bet on my part!

Yeah . . . .

I started with carboys (17 years ago), tried better bottles, V-vessels, more carboys - I now have 8 bottling buckets that I use - I will never switch to anything else...... Unless I win the lottery and buy 8 Stainless conicals.....

It took almost 15 year of brewing experience to realize how awesome bottling buckets work as fermenters. no, going back.

If you guys are still brewing in 5 years, I'd bet my store that you'll be using glass! :)

Cool! I've always wanted a store, even since I started making wine 25 years ago, and brewing for 12 years. :D

The other side of the coin (for a 6 sided coin, I guess), is this- buckets are CHEAP. So it gets scratched. Make it a bucket to hold grain, and get a new one. I have two buckets, just for grain crushing. They are buckets that have been "retired".

A carboy breaks, and you've got nothin', except a lot of glass shards. :D

I've gone through like 4-5 buckets the past almost 10 years. Oops, I mean I've collected 4-5 buckets. Haven't had to throw one out yet. I'm still keeping my glass carboys. The 6 gallon is nice for bulk aging the a really big beer, or the very rare wine. The smaller carboy is great for small batches of whatever.

I'll bet my store (formerly YOUR store) that most people who desire to look inside their carboys eventually lose that interest and do fine peeking through the bung hole or popping the lid slightly if they want to see inside.

I do like the look of those nearly clear buckets from the great white north, though.

I lost interest in watching fermentation after my 3rd or 4th brew.
Now I slam the bucket lid closed and don't open it until 2-3 weeks later either to keg or dry hop.

Back