Fermenting Bucket Lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

js4ipa

Reaction score
Is there some trick or tool for removing the lid on the fermenting bucket? Mine is near impossible to pull of with fingers alone.

Yep - there is a bucket lid removal tool. About $2 at Lowes.

Yeah, there is a lid remover you can buy. They sell them at most HBS's, local and online. I just use both thumbs under the rim of the lid to get it started and then pull it off. It can be quite a pain with new, tight lids though.

Either Blowe's or home cheapo should have them for the cheapest price. Now if the people who worked there knew what the hell I was talking about...:drunk:

I've got the most inexpensive suggestion yet. Don't snap the lid down, just set it on top. I've done this for the last 18 batches or so, and not a single problem yet. No more fooling with the stupid airlock either, just not needed at all.

I know, kinda radical, but give it some consideration. After all, in all the history of human brewing, air locks and sealed fermenters are the latecomers to the party.

I agree with mt rob as long as you don't have curious children/animals in your home. Or if you do then you have some other method of securing the fermenter from them.

I've been using the Cooper's DIY fermenter for just about a year (~10 batches thru it) with no problems and the lid just sits on there, no airlock.

Another suggestion could be to use kitchen plastic wrap and a bungee cord. No hard to remove lid and you can see what's happening. Once again you'd have to take kids/animals into consideration.

The newer DIY FV is designed that way,with more head space designed in. And yeah,airlocks & sainitation are mewcomers. But back then they had a lot more bad batches,ones that didn't magically start to ferment,went sour,etc. They didn't even know it was yeast doing the fermenting till Pasteur in the 1800's.

Back