rust on keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HotDog

Reaction score
Should i be worried about minor rust i cant remove on my keg? The location of the rust smudges are in between threads and on top of keg. I've thouroghly cleaned the keg with bar keepers friend and removed most of the rust. Also, how quickly does rust develop on S/S? Is this something ill have to continually fight or only with neglect?

I have found from cleaning my S/S props on my boat that when you do go to clean it, you should not use things like steel wool or wire brushes. If you want to get the rust off then go get some STAINLESS steel wool pads with no abrasive chemicals on them....or you can use a bronze wire brush. The issue is that you are introducing raw steel into the stainless surface and that is whats rusting and showing up on the surface.
It could also be a cheap stainless and have less chromium in the formula then better grade S/S

-Walter

^^^ Use a stainless steel brush or brass brush. Remember stainless steel is still ~60% iron. The rust is an iron oxide surface nodule, nothing to worry about.

Also, how quickly does rust develop on S/S?
if the surface is passivated, it doesnt ever develop rust.

google "stainless steel passivation"

barkeepers friend (oxacilic acid) will work for passivating it. make a paste out of it with some water and put it on the rust spots for 15-30 minutes, then, with a rough green scrubbie, buff it off, let it sit another 5 minutes, then rinse. it should not rust again.

Back