WLP670 slow starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holmes

Reaction score
I pitched a tube of 670 into a 1000ml starter at about a 65 degree ambient temp and nothing happened for about 20 hours. So I put it into the beer incubator at 75 and after another 20 hours approx it is showing some activity, but I know this strain includes brett which is slow moving. I'm wondering if during shipping the less hardy sach was killed off due to high temps.(shipped when hot but with ice pack and bubble wrap) And if so have I just ramped up the brett at the expense of any other yeast that was supposed to have been there. I smelled the starter and it does have a bit of a bretty smell. Usually at this point I would just cut my losses and do it over again, but this is a platinum strain that is no longer available, and these days I would rather not spend any money that I don't have to. Thanks.

Let the starter go, cool and decant when done and re-start. The sacc will out-compete the Brett.

Worst case, is the Sacc is dead and the Brett will give you a great beer. I really like using Brett on its own; makes a really fruity beer, a great Saison yeast.

I ran into the same problem when making my starter with 670. It took a good 24 hrs on the stir plate before I saw activity. When I did pitch it, in my sweet tater farmhouse saison, it took 18 hours to show any sign of fermentation, but when it did it was the most violent, constant, longest lasting fermentation I've ever had. It's still bubbling once every 3-5 seconds after 2 weeks.

Thanks for the advice, I didn't think of that one Calder. Since my brew window has passed I think I'll take your advice, and step up again and allow more time. I have also had a lot of fun with all brett beers but have found that they have a more fruit funk thing going, and I really want some spice for a big dark and funky winter saison a la the mad fermentationist. At this point I'm also considering pitching some 3711 along with the wlp although I have to say I'm curious about the 670, being that there is so little info floating around. It's good to hear that someone else has a had a bit of an odd experience as well.

I just used this yeast. the stater I made was ready with in 24 hours on a stir plate. i pitched it in to 6 gallons of 1.060 saison and by the next morning I had a small krausen. The yeast was 8 months past born on date.

Back