Two fridges, zero Kegerators.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spyd3r

Reaction score
So I scored a free fridge off of Craigslist, because my current one won't fit the kegs under the freezer. The new one has the same issue...what should I do?

Old One
New One

i have seen some people on here who have ones like your first link. they have bent that thing metal freezer unit down and back so that they have the room, plus that plate chills more of the fridge

So I scored a free fridge off of Craigslist, because my current one won't fit the kegs under the freezer. The new one has the same issue...what should I do?

Old One
New One

get one of these. it will hold a full size keg or 3 cornies. just modify or change the tower for more taps.

I attached a muffin fan to the plate in mine. cools much better/colder now.

Beer Meister Stainelss With Tap

Build a bridge out of 'er!

Seriously, I'd make a fermentation chamber out of one, see if you can't modify the other one to fit a corny.

Gently attempt to remove screws/glue holding the freezer in place. Then slowly and gently bend the freezer portion back toward the rear wall.

I'd try the free one first. It was free. If it gets ruined, oh well.

Thanks guys.

The new one would be able to hold two cornys in it, though it looks more difficult to modify the freezer.

Ugh...I know it was free, but it really is a pretty good fridge. No guts, no glory!

I had the same problem but since it was a cheap CL fridge I decided to try and bend the cooling portion in order to fit 2 cornies. i unscrewed the 'freezer' portion and EVER so slowly and carefully, making sure not to kink any lines, bent it back so it pretty much sits flush with the compressor hump. I am now able to fit 2 cornies in there with a little door modification. I'm still slowly piecing together parts to complete it but the modified fridge works perfectly.

I suggest at least trying the same. I can post some pics if you would like.

Just today I cut 1 side of the handles off some kegs and the fit nicely under the freezer compartment. I can post some pics tomorrow.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVDCZK20QTo]YouTube - Homebrew Kegorator[/ame] :rockin:

Heres a pic of my freezer portion bent downward. Hope its helps.

Door_Trimming_024_Large_.jpg

The video that I posted is another guy that converted the same GE fridge that I got for free. He bent the freezer to the side and tapped out of the front. He also doesn't have his CO2 tank in the unit...I'll use his as motivation to adjust mine, though I'll make the necessary adjustments.

I bent back the freezer and the thing still works. lol

The kegs fit nicely in there now...next step, acquire co2 tank and regulator.

Lots of people bend the freezer down, and I have done it myself. There is one major point that you HAVE TO PAY ATTENTION TO. make sure that the refrigerant lines have WARMED UP before you bed it or they will break. Other than that just be gentle and you should have no issues.

Lots of people bend the freezer down, and I have done it myself. There is one major point that you HAVE TO PAY ATTENTION TO. make sure that the refrigerant lines have WARMED UP before you bed it or they will break. Other than that just be gentle and you should have no issues.

I actually thought about that before I attempted it. I unplugged it a day before, and the thing bent like butter!

Back