New Connecticut Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mayday99

Reaction score
Hello!! Great site with lots of valuable insights, I have enjoyed reading here. Decided to take up homebrewing recently and picked up the Coopers Home Brew kit. This seems like a decent kit for the money, and the fermenter seems to be pretty high quality.

My first beer is a Coopers IPA using the hopped extract, supplied yeast and adding 500g of light dry malt and 300g dextrose, per the instructions. Fermented for 6 days and then bottled. After two weeks in the bottle, beer is pretty clear and well carbonated, but the flavor doesn't seem well blended yet. I am guessing this is because it needs longer to age, or the kit I used isn't the best.

Would like to make something next that more closely emulates the beers I normally drink (Sierra Nevada Pale, Victory Hop Devil, Longtrail Ale, etc)

I will soon be getting some glass carboys, more bottles, brew kettle and other equipment from my Dad, who stopped brewing once he could get decent beer at the store. I am thinking of picking up a kit from Northern brewer for my next batch. Anybody know if they are any good?

Thanks!

Welcome to HBT! :mug:
Here's a tip that will make your beer even better. Instead of adding the dextrose to the wort try adding 1.4 Kilogram of light dried malt extract. It will give your beer more malt complexity. Try it and compare the two beers.

Where are you in CT. There's a great HBS in Monroe called Maltose Express. Pick up a the books "Beer Captured" and "Clone Brews". They're packed w/ all sorts of clone recipes including all the ones you listed.

I am in the Hartford area. I just ordered Beer Captured from Amazon, it looks like exactly what I needed. Thanks for the tip!

Mayday99 said:
I am in the Hartford area. I just ordered Beer Captured from Amazon, it looks like exactly what I needed. Thanks for the tip!

That book is written by the people that own Maltose Express, it's great store. I was there the other day and tried their new belgian triple. Welcome to the forum:mug:

Back