is there a tutorial on portable PID controler box?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
I would like to build a portable PID controller that I can use with various elements in my brewing system: heatsick / element during brew day, aquarium heater and refrigerator during fermentation.

I have been on the Auber Instruments site, but I'm the type who needs to hold the controller in my hand to figure out the wiring. I would like to mount a PID controller in an electric project box with standard outlets to plug/unplug elements easily without rewiring (just resetting the setpoints).

Is the $35 1/32 DIN model adequate for a range of 120 V / 15 A elements? Is there a PID controller with dual circuits for controlling both a heater and refrigerator?

When you select a PID controller, you will want to make sure that the relay contacts are current rated for the element you want to use.
Many are not rated for 15 Amps.

What I like to use is a PID controller that is compatible with and an external SSR. Solid State Relays can be bought fairly cheap, their durable, and easy to hook up.

Many PID controllers can use either a RTD sensor or a thermocouple sensor. Some will only use one or the other.

Most of the controller I have used were in meat smokers I built but I have one that I use with my RIMS.

Johnson Controls builds a decent digital temperature controller that comes with a sensor, operates on 240 or 120 VAC and has relay contract rated at 10 Amps.

I would like to build a portable PID controller that I can use with various elements in my brewing system: heatsick / element during brew day, aquarium heater and refrigerator during fermentation.

I have been on the Auber Instruments site, but I'm the type who needs to hold the controller in my hand to figure out the wiring. I would like to mount a PID controller in an electric project box with standard outlets to plug/unplug elements easily without rewiring (just resetting the setpoints).

Is the $35 1/32 DIN model adequate for a range of 120 V / 15 A elements? Is there a PID controller with dual circuits for controlling both a heater and refrigerator?

search "tool box" there are lots of people on here who have made PID control boxes out of toolboxes many have rims tubes and pumps attached as well. It might be a bit more than what you are looking for but some good examples of portable systems.

Latest posts

Back