Some newbie questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarBob

Reaction score
1. Someone told me that you couldn't use stainless steel for brewing is this true? And if not is there anything I have to do with the stainless steel before using it?

2. How long can stored grain last if it's already been ground? And whats the best way to store it?

3. What's the alcohol tolerance nottingham brewing yeast? I plan I making an 11% abv beer, and need to know what yeast will be able to get the job done.

1. Stainless steel is fine. I use it and have never had any issues.

2. Not very long. Keep them refrigerated and use them as soon as possible, preferably within a couple days.

3. Be sure to put hops and malt in your beer :)

1. Great I got a stainless steel turkey fryer pot.

2. Only a couple days? I was hoping for a few months, maybe I can try to get it vacuumed sealed or something.

3. Hops and malt? I need to use both? So much for my hop only green St. Patricks day beer.

The problem with crushed grains are that they will dry out. If you could vacuum seal them with something like a foodsaver, you might be able to extend that a bit. I don't have any experience with that though.

PS - I just got my Barley Crusher in the mail today :) I won't be buying crushed grain anymore... I talked to a guy at Midwest about grain shelf life and he told me that uncrushed grains should keep for at least a year and maybe longer if vacuum sealed. I'll probably start buying certain grains in bulk... like the base grains. I have not brewed my first all-grain batch yet, but my next batch will be all-grain.

You are fine with your crushed grains for a few weeks. It's hard to give an exact time because you don't know how old the grain is and how well it's been kept. Think about all the packaged kits with crushed grains sitting on shelves. Those grains are in there for longer than just a couple days and they work just fine. Keep them sealed up and dry and you'll be fine.

Back