Custom beer glasses w/ everyday items

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JefeTheVol

Reaction score
I know there are a few threads about making your own beer glasses but I decided to do it with everyday household items. I didnt have those custom glass etching stencils or anything fancy so I decided to do this with the following items. Its a little more time consuming than ordering a custom stencil but for those of us that like to be creative and use new ideas I think I broke some new ground. Plus, you can do this with stuff lying around an office.

Sticky Label Sheets x25 $6.99
Scotch Tape Free (laying around the house)
Xacto Knife $1.99
Paint Brushes $0.99
Glass Etch Cream $8.50
17.5 oz Pint Glasses x4 $1.50 each
Large Beer Pitcher x1 $7.50

I decided on a using a Peregrine Falcon logo because Peregrine is the name of my best friends sailboat and I used the same design for the name on the aft of the vessel. I found a photo of a peregrine falcon perching on a rock and then photoshopped the image to be all black.

I began by printing out the design onto the sticky labels.
DSCN0349.jpg

Second, I covered the images with scotch tape. The tape provides a barrier against the etching cream and helps guide the xacto knife a little better than plain paper.

Next I cut out the "positive" image with the xacto knife. Im not going to use the "positive" image, Im going to use the "negative" one. So when your cutting out the design, be mindful that you can make mistakes with the positive image but you need to keep the negative outline intact. It helps to be good with your hands. Seizure patients need not apply.
DSCN0351.jpg

I then repeated the process 3 more times. I could print out about 4 images per sheet of sticky labels. After covering all the images with scotch tape and cutting them out. I then cut all the negative images out, pulled the backing of the labels and rolled them onto the pint glasses to keep them even.
This is a photo of the test glass.
DSCN0354.jpg

This is a photo the 4 "stencils" I cut out.
DSCN0356.jpg

I marked the inside of the pint glasses with a little bit of duct tape 1 inch from the top to mark where I would apply the negative images. I then lined up the top of the falcons head with the duct tape. The glass in the background was my test glass.
DSCN0363.jpg

I then applied the Etching Cream to the image inside the stencils. The bottle said to wait 5-10 minutes for the cream to work but during my test runs on the cheaper glass, I noticed that I got the best results from waiting around 20 minutes.
DSCN0364.jpg

And here are the final products. The Falcon logo on the beer pitcher is about 20 percent larger than the other stencils and I filled one of the glasses with a nice 2 month old Wee Heavy. The etchings dont show up too well with beer in the glass but I dont care. It was a fun art project.
DSCN0366.jpg

Does it come off in the dishwasher or with hot water? Very cool thread though. Should be in the DIY section too, that way people like me can find it for our little projects!

Does it come off in the dishwasher or with hot water? Very cool thread though. Should be in the DIY section too, that way people like me can find it for our little projects!

No its dishwasher safe. The etching cream actually is an acid that dissolves the glass and permanently "scars" the surface.

If a mod wants to move the thread to the DIY that would be cool too. I dont think I can move a thread.
-Jefe-

I did something similar with ...

1) painters masking tape
2) Xacto knife
3) sandblaster

If you ever do a wine glass, never etch the stem. Bad news. Every last drop of glass is apparently required for basic structural integrity. Trust me.

Back