Bottle or rack to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSeibel

Reaction score
My first hard cider is at about 6 weeks. It is fairly clear with exception of some yeast deposits on the side of the carboy. I plan to carb it with 3/4 cup dextrose before bottling however I am wondering if I should rack to secondary for clarifying for another month or so. I have not taken a hydrometer reading to see if fermenting has stopped however I think its safe to assume as there has been no airlock activity for at least 2-3 weeks.

Here are a few questions.

-Is secondary necesary if I dont care about it being 100% clear?
-What hydrometer reading should I be looking for if OG was 1.068? I want it to be dry..so I am assuming 1.000 or lower?
-Is 3/4 cup dextrose the correct amount for 5 gallons?
-How long to bottle age before it should be considered worth trying?

Thanks

Dave

PS..

Recipe was 5 gallons unpastuerized cider, 1/4 tsp K-Meta, 1 tsp pectic enzyme...and a day later Lavlin ED-1118 yeast...then airlocked.

-Is secondary necesary if I dont care about it being 100% clear?
..... No
-What hydrometer reading should I be looking for if OG was 1.068? I want it to be dry..so I am assuming 1.000 or lower?
..... EC-1118 should get you down to .996-.998
-Is 3/4 cup dextrose the correct amount for 5 gallons?
..... 1 oz/per gallon is standard. I go a little higher with cider since I like it really bubbly.
-How long to bottle age before it should be considered worth trying?
.... It should be carbonated in 4 weeks. I usually age some and drink some right away. I prefer it aged, but green isn't bad either, IMHO.

after 6 weeks it will be close to done by now, do you hydro check, im guessing youll hit below one with out much problem. Go ahead and bottle i normally do, but racking to secondary wont hurt anything. PAC addressed the rest.

Cheers

OK, thanks for the info guys. One more question. How long will the bottled product keep, and at what temp should it be stored for optimal aging? My plan is to drink some at different stages and note the differences on age (from about 1 month to a year from bottling). How long before it will turn to vinegar?

Also, I will be using 750ml green plastic home brew bottles with screw caps.

Thanks,

Dave

It won't turn to vinegar unless that bacteria is introduced. If they are sealed properly they will be good for as long as the bottle is good.

Back