All foam, out of ideas...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatFishGuy

Reaction score
Hey everyone. My first batch just finished carbinating and when I went to try it it was all foam. So i checked the usual stuff, turned the temp down a little and lowered the pressure. Let it sit a while and tried again, still the same. So today I went and bought 10' of beerline because my old one was only 3' so thought it would help. It slightly helped, but not a whole lot. I have the pressure turned all the way down to about 2psi with 10' of 1/4" tubing and still about 80% foam when dispensed in a glass. I've tried to read past posts about this but I think i've done the usual fixes. any ideas? Oh ya im just using a picnic faucet if it helps any.
Thanks,
Sam:confused:

yeah i did, I meant to mention that in the first post but i guess i forgot. I purged the pressure every time i dropped it.

Oh and dont worry all this hasnt stopped me from drinking it....just had to fill a couple glasses, let them sit, top off, then combine into one glass and drink. not efficient but definitely gets the job done. thought I would like to be able just to pour :D

Also, how did you carb it? Set'n'forget or shake? If it was shake, it might need to be purged multiple times before it equalizes. I have yet to have a keg that wouldn't behave when balanced properly.

Good luck! :mug:

Just reread your post - def get some smaller line - 1/4 doesn't offer much resistance. Do what jay075j said and get some 3/16"

Try this:

1. Release all pressure from the keg.

2. Set your gage to zero.

3. Place/hold a glass under the tap.

4. Open tap.

5. SLOWLY turn your pressure up. The beer should start flowing foam-free.

6. Adjust flow accordingly. ;)

I'm not sure it would be foam free. If you're at say 4 volumes of CO2 and drop the head pressure to zero, I'd think quite a bit of Co2 would be rushing out of solution right away.

Are you opening the tap all the way? That can be a problem for people using the picnic taps. Even if it seems like it is coming out too fast, still open the tap all the way. By only partially opening the tap, you are actually creating more foam.

ya i made sure to open the tap all the way. It was force carbonated. Homebrewer99- I'll try that out, if it doesnt work it looks like I need 3/16 line. I'll give it another shot this afternoon, I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Thanks,
Sam

Back