Pump for a Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oceanselv

Reaction score
I need some help from fellow brewers living here in the south. I use an immersion chiller and within the next month or so our tap water will approach 80. I was thinking of using this pump http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 to recirculate ice water water from a 32 gallon garbage can through my IC. Will this work or can I save some money by using a pump with a lower output?

That pump is rated for 500+ gal/hr right? Your typical faucet flows at about 3 gal/min which is equal to 180gal/hr. That pump is going pump a lot faster than just using your tap. Probably can go with a smaller pump, but that's just my logic.

i have used a bilge pump for a boat, but it didn't have enough lift. i had to put the water tank a little higher than i wanted.
100_1837.JPG

100_18381.JPG

I use the very same pump that Skiwithg uses...works great! And I use a 6 gallon bucket half-filled with water and ice. When it gets too warm, I throw in some reuseable ice packs we keep in the freezer.

glenn514:mug:

my local lowes is closing out 1/6hp immersion pump for $33 (normally $60). I think its rated for 1100G/HR. I thought this would be too much but it worked well. 5 gallon batch cooled to 60degrees in about 10 minutes.

I've been thinking about this...what about filling a bottling bucket with ice and water and just using gravity to feed the IC? Someone must have tried this at some point right? Seems like it might work to me.

if by gravity you mean a siphon then i dont think it would work very effectively. You probably need more flow. The pump allows you to recirculate the water into the ice bucket as well so you dont waste a ton of water.

i think gravity draining ice-water would work fine. You would not WANT to recirculate it because the flow would be low enough that the water coming out of the other side of the chiller would be hotter than hell.

Back