Yeast Washing video question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewclearAssault

Reaction score
I've really enjoyed this video:

I learned a ton from it, but as always I must be missing something! I'm just a little confused about how he initiated the process- Is he fermenting his beer with a spigot on the bucket, or is he pouring the 4 mason jars into the remnants of the bottling bucket after transfer?

I was under the impression you used what was left from the fermentation vessel. I mean, I'm probably gonna just pour it into a big 1 gallon mason jar and decant it, (no spigot involved) but I'm just curious how this guy did it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like he fermented in that bucket.

I've never harvested yeast, and got a quick question. When you make a starter with the harvested yeast do you just add DME and to the contents of the mason jar or do you decant and add the yeast to a traditional starter? Should you decant the trub?

He used his bottling bucket as his fermenter. After you rack your beer off of the yeast cake dump in your water stir it up let it sit 20min. Then it is much easier if you poor that into a gallon jug. Let it set another 20 or so then poor into the smaller jars.

When I make a starter from washed yeast I decant the liquid poor some starter wort in the jar shake it up then add it all to my flask and put on the stir plate.

He used his bottling bucket as his fermenter. After you rack your beer off of the yeast cake dump in your water stir it up let it sit 20min. Then it is much easier if you poor that into a gallon jug. Let it set another 20 or so then poor into the smaller jars.

That sounds so much easier. Thanks a lot! Now, to find out more about fermenting in a bottling bucket!

If you are using the washed yeast within a few days you probably don't even need a starter. You'll have a lot of viable yeast cells in that 1/4 of the yeast cake.

Ok, so since I couldn't find a bigger mason jar, I basically copied what the gentleman in the video did with 4 jars. Looks alright to me, but I'm not sure how much this is supposed to yield... does that look about right?

d8ebc4669eeb_38980d7a-bedb-44d0-97ad-6094ef88728c

Back