Smack Pack - Possible Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

somecallmebub

Reaction score
I smacked my 3068 Weihenstephan yeast an hour or so ago (for this recipe), but I'm not sure if the inner pouch burst. The inner packet feels pretty full inside still, but squishing it harder still doesn't seem to make any difference/

Now, this is only my 5th batch so I'm still pretty green, but I haven't had this issue before (with other yeasts), but it makes me wonder...
* is this normal for 3068?
* is this problematic?
* is the thing in the inner packet the yeast or the nutrient?
* is there something else I should try?

Lay the pack flat and put you index fingers at the bottom 1/3rd in from each side. Hold the bottom down with your thumbs and slide your fingers up the pack. Your fingers should be able to slide off the other end, so if you hit a lot of resistance, you still have an unbroken inner pack. Smack the living daylights out of it - I have yet to break the outer seal by smacking it.

Thanks for the encouragement, I guess I was just being a sissy. I went medieval on it with a colossal wooden spoon, and now everything's swell.

Latest posts

Back