How do I clean this Better Bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoemaker27

Reaction score
I use better bottles for primary and end up putting a drop of dishsoap, some baking soda, then starsan in, then rising them a million times out with water.

Is there a better way to clean these things? It seems to take too long for me. I would rather not buy any other non-household cleaners as well.

I have tried the dish cloth method and it didn't work....I have to use a carboy brush....is this bad? How does everyone else do it?

I looked at the better bottle website but they aren't specific on the type of soap to use. Also, can you rinse these things out with hot water?

You say you don't want to buy a non-household cleaner, but I use PBW and it works incredibly well. No scrubbing needed. I've heard that OxiClean works just as well, so that's at least something you could use elsewhere.

Using a carboy brush will probably scratch the plastic and is not recommended. You can rinse BB's with warm water, but not hot-- it will deform the plastic.

-Steve

I agree with what has been stated already. Soak it in oxyclean for a day or two. Definitely don't scrub it with a brush unless you want to risk the chance of contamination for future batches.

Soak with oxiclean for a day or two (or three)?
I use oxiclean or PBW for less than two hours (usually one), and all the crud is gone. Admittedly, this is on glass or SS, but I can't imagine it being any less effective on PET.

-a.

DO NOT USE WATER AS HOT AS IT GETS FROM THE TAP. Anything over 120 degrees can damage the bottle. Most people's hot water is in that range. Coastarine may not have their water heater turned up hotter than 120, but some people do..... These bottles are way to expensive to risk messing them up with hot water and its not neccesary.

Latest posts

Back