Citric/Grapefruit rind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattamue

Reaction score
I've brewed 3 batches now and they all have a citric/grapefruit rind taste. All different kits. I thoroughly clean and wash everything. Any ideas what it could be? Water? Chlorine? Anyone else plagued by grapefruit and got rid of it?

Thanks, Matt

The tastes you are describing are usually desired and can be from the hop selection or the esters and phenols derived from fermentation process. As asked above, what hops, yeast, temps and kits?

I've dry hopped with Simcoe and it gives a great grapefruit taste without any of the harshness that comes along. I don't even like grapefruit. Maybe you should use piney, herbal, or spicy hops.

True Brew Amber: (directions don't say I didn't save the empty bags or note this one, was my first) 'Hop pellets': Munton's dry 'Ale yeast': 70-75
True Brew IPA: Pilgrim and First Gold: Munton's dry 'Ale yeast': 70-75
Brewer's Best Rye IPA: Columbus and Cascade: Nottingham dry 'Ale yeast': 70-75

Maybe I need to make my own kit with a less citrus-y hops? I'm not a huge fan of the grapefruit taste. There are other taste I like that I want to cultivate like resin, floral and herbal.

And thank you for your help folks; I really feel clueless here.

Back