Homebrewer Ben Starr, finalist on Tv's Master Chef season 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found something kind of funny watch his video on how to make beer part one and at the end you see the picture that was on the show tonight.

Wow, someone's got a great eye! Ha ha... In that same video, some YouTube viewer saw the dog least hanging in the background and asked me what kind of dog I had. Crazy what people notice.

Yeah...nasty night for me tonight. Hopefully next week will be better!

It's a tie between you and Suzi on facial expressions. The editors seem to be toning it down on you two though :).

Regardless of who wins, everyone who has been in the top 15 or so are excellent cooks, now it just depends if you can get a bunch of screaming kids to go your way. Good luck :mug:

Just finished watching on hulu, my heart in my throat. WOW, that was tough.

If I were there, I would have been the one to go. I absolutely ABHOR tomato soup. I don't even know how I would be able to make one. I would be able to taste it without puking. So could I even make one. I prolly would have tossed my apron on the cooktop and walked right out.

It was also hard to see Derrick leave. He seemed a gentle soul. I had to get around my not liking his matching lip percings (he reminded me of the alien in the predator) but he seemed like a cool guy.

I don't know about Christian, but I sure as hell would "butter Jennifer's ass." ;)

If I were there, I would have been the one to go. I absolutely ABHOR tomato soup. I don't even know how I would be able to make one. I would be able to taste it without puking. So could I even make one. I prolly would have tossed my apron on the cooktop and walked right out.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Makes me think of another question though. How did the whole casting process go. I had a bunch of people try to get me to try and get on after seeing the first season. I started looking into it and it said that the first step was to drop off what was essentially leftovers with reheating instructions. What happened after that?

Ugh.. Tomato soup was my nemesis.
It was hard to nail the acidity without using cream.
Then I tried using a bit of butter and a bit of cinnamon and cumin.
That combination tamed the savage tomato beast.

Can't wait to see next week's episode.

+1 on the had me worried Ben, no need for the drama, just cook your arse off and get Christian outta there. btw, tell Gordon I said RDWHAHB!

Whew... close call. I'm with revvy. The tomato soups I can stomach are few and far between. Funny thing is I love tomatoes in any other form, especially on grilled cheese. I love making "gourmet grilled cheese" (as swmbo calls it) too. :) One of my favorites is Swiss cheese, coleslaw, avocado, lettuce, tomato and Russian dressing on pumpernickel.

I'm interested in what dataz722 said too. I hadn't heard that about the qualification process.

I had a bunch of people try to get me to try and get on after seeing the first season.

here you go.
Open Calls

Casting Calls are coming soon to a city near you! Come and meet the MasterChef Casting Team for your best chance to be on the show! You MUST bring one prepared dish to be served at room temperature. You will be given a few minutes to plate your dish at the given casting location, but there will not be a kitchen to cook or warm it up so come prepared!

http://www.masterchefcasting.com/faqs

sadly, rule 3 counts me out --- for now.
3. Your main source of income cannot come from preparing and cooking food in a professional environment (restaurants, hotels, food trucks, catering etc).

I have to admit, that despite my normal sensibilities I have now been totally sucked in by the manufactured drama. That Christian is a real DB!! If I were him I would totally butter Jenifer's ass and get behind her for the win. She has really grown on me quite a lot.

I dunno what I will think about all the tears from one another when Jen or Ben get booted. I imagine they will both dissolve into a puddle on the floor. ;)

Where did the boobies go!! ? :(

DE.jpg

WOW someone knows how to search on the Internet. Also pretty obvious that she has had "some" work done. Nice find she is better looking now

How did the whole casting process go. I had a bunch of people try to get me to try and get on after seeing the first season. I started looking into it and it said that the first step was to drop off what was essentially leftovers with reheating instructions. What happened after that?

First you apply on their casting website by filling out a small questionnaire. Then they call you about a week before your local auditions to give you a VIP invitation. Then you fill out a massive 30 page application with all sorts of crazy details about yourself, including an exhaustive background check where you have to list every person you've ever lived or slept with. Then you take the application to auditions along with a dish that can be served at ROOM TEMPERATURE. (I took that crazy cake I later made on the show.)

At the first audition you talk to chefs and casting directors about your food. If you move past that level you'll take a short quiz on culinary basics, and then go into a more detailed interview.

If you move past that you'll have to create a short video of yourself highlight certain aspects of your life and cooking that they're interested in.

If you move past that you'll have another, more in-depth interview on camera.

If you move past that you'll have a medical and psychological evaluation and an interview with a background investigator.

If you move past that, you'll get cast!

Ha ha ha... At least that's how it worked for this season. Very long, arduous process! Good luck if you decide to go for it!

SWMBO and I have been watching the show routinely. I must have missed the part where it said Ben was a homebrewer, and just discovered this thread. My wife was rooting for Derrick and was pissed when he was kicked off. Always liked Ben, and just found who I'm rooting for.

Best of luck!

Qhrumphf said:
SWMBO and I have been watching the show routinely. I must have missed the part where it said Ben was a homebrewer, and just discovered this thread. My wife was rooting for Derrick and was pissed when he was kicked off. Always liked Ben, and just found who I'm rooting for.

Best of luck!

Derrick was awesome, I was sad to see him go. Howevet, I thought it was really nice of that judge to invite him to one of his restaurants to talk about "his future in cooking".

Ben, do you still keep in contact with Derrick? Do you know how he is doing? Or a more general question, do you keep in contact with any of the finalists and what are they doing since being off the show.

I know you mentioned christian had a new baby on your FB, that's great for him! (even though I don't care for him)

Derrick was awesome, I was sad to see him go. Howevet, I thought it was really nice of that judge to invite him to one of his restaurants to talk about "his future in cooking".

Ben, do you still keep in contact with Derrick? Do you know how he is doing? Or a more general question, do you keep in contact with any of the finalists and what are they doing since being off the show.

I know you mentioned christian had a new baby on your FB, that's great for him! (even though I don't care for him)

I liked him too. Sad to see him and Guiseppe leave. And that did seem like a pretty blatant job offer to me.

I've been staying away from this thread until I was all caught up, and I just watched the latest episode on hulu tonight. It was sad to see Derrick leave; I really liked the guy. And I liked his piercings, too.

Ben, the hat story is great! We were wondering where they all came from. You might have a great product to sell to raise funds for the Hawaii brewery-to-be.

What happens to all the dishes the judges don't taste? Do you guys get to eat them? If so, do you taste and compare each other's dishes?

Is there more dialog about the dishes we don't get to see? Rather, when the judges are all walking around and you guys are preparing the Mystery Box challenge, do they give you hints and suggestions, and can you ask them technique questions?
Wait, is that cheating?

Anyways, we're all cheering for you Ben!

Qhrumphf said:
I liked him too. Sad to see him and Guiseppe leave. And that did seem like a pretty blatant job offer to me.

Yeah it did. Guiseppe was prob my second favorite until recently. Now it's the beautiful Jen!

Jen's hot. And she is a mom, in my book, she's one bad ass MILF.

Sure, but she is named Jennifer and a blonde -- that's two strikes in my world.
I've had nothing but bad luck with blondes named Jen, Jenny, Jennifer etc. :D

Back on topic with some speculation.

My final 4 prediction.

Christian
Tracy
Ben
Jennifer

Ha!

Well, Jennifer is NOT a mom...she is single and looking. (Christine was the single mom.)

Regarding Derrick, he has spent some time "staging" (pronounced STAH-zhing) which basically means interning for free, in both Joe's restaurants and Graham's restaurant in Chicago. Of ANY of the contestants, he is working the hardest post-MasterChef to become an actual chef. On show nights in NY he does "restaurant takeovers" where he designs and prepares the menu himself, and he has sold out every single event. There is rumor that Max is opening up a restaurant in the Hudson Valley, and if so, Derrick will be a chef there.

Derrick and I didn't get to be very close until the end of MasterChef, but I've been to NY to visit him since the show ended, and we've become pretty close. He is one unique person. He took me on the cheapie-foodie tour of the city one afternoon...I think we ate small plates at probably 15 different places.

I keep in touch with virtually of the top 18 on a fairly regular basis. Some I'm closer to than others, but we are all connected and helping support each other in our various endeavors.

Question: "What happens to all the dishes the judges don't taste? Do you guys get to eat them? If so, do you taste and compare each other's dishes?"

There is one plate that we present to the judges, they each taste, then that plate and its contents go in the trash. Whatever food is left on our stations after judging is over gets devoured by the crew. (The crew says that MasterChef is a coveted show in LA, because of all the food the crew gets to eat!) We taste our dishes as we are cooking, but we're not allowed to sit and eat the remainder while judging takes place (Christian got in trouble for that in one episode) and as soon as judging is complete, we evacuate the studio for interviews. We generally don't get to taste each other's dishes, for a variety of reasons, and I'll leave it at that!

"Is there more dialog about the dishes we don't get to see?"

YES. We each spend anywhere from 5-15 minutes in front of the judges. Even sometimes when they edit Joe or one of the judges just giving a look and walking away, that never happens. Each judge gives us both positive and negative feedback about each dish. Only a fraction of the feedback gets on the air.

"when the judges are all walking around and you guys are preparing the Mystery Box challenge, do they give you hints and suggestions, and can you ask them technique questions?"

The judges sometimes give suggestions while we're cooking, but most often they ask US questions about our choices. They'll taste a sauce and ask, "Did you intend for it to taste this way?" which could be criticism or compliment, and it's up to you to decide. They basically want to see if you are committing to your choices, or if you are wishywashy and decide to backtrack in the middle.

You can ask technique questions and sometimes they'll answer. Generally they do this more often in the team challenges. In the very first challenge when I was baking the brick-oven pizzas, I brought in 10 pounds of baby spinach to saute with olive oil and spices, and I only had a small skillet over a small burner. Ramsay came over and said, "BenStahh it's going to take you an hour to saute all this spinach. You don't have to saute it. It's young and tender. Dress it with a vinaigrette and toss it right on top of the pizza. It will wilt in the oven and be perfect." DUH!

So, yes, the judges give us help, particular in moments of dire need. You learn a LOT from being on the show...I came back and on the first meal I cooked at home, everyone was like... WOAH, what happened to you out there?

That is really cool. Its really neat to get a little window into the show.

BTW, SWMBO is making your Pumpkin Gingerbread Pancakes for breakfast tomorrow. I had to buy cardamom and at $10 for the jar, I'm 'trusting you on this one...' I'll just need to find other uses for it.

Finally got all caught up on Hulu tonight. Glad to tour tomato soup didn't get you booted:mug:

I don't see Jen as hot. Tracy is much more attractive IMO

Can't wait to to see the next one. It's very cool to have the inside info! Thnks for sharing. Now I'm off to find that cake recipe. I think you posted it here before.

I had to buy cardamom and at $10 for the jar, I'm 'trusting you on this one...' I'll just need to find other uses for it.

I hope those pancakes turned out good! Cardamom is an incredible spice with a wide variety of uses. It's good for both sweet and savory spice combinations. Sprinkle it into your coffee in the coffee maker for the most exotic, fragrant coffee you'll ever drink. Dust it on slices of orange. Add it to curries and sauces. Put it in EVERY dessert you make that also has cinnamon in it.

It IS an expensive spice, but if you have a middle eastern (Halal) or Indian market in your town, you can get it for VERY cheap there. That's what I do.

If you want to know cardamom's TRUE purpose on this earth...brew yourself a beer with cardamom and dried orange peel. LIFE CHANGING

Actually, Ben, they were some of the best pancakes I have had! Definitely worth it. I will definitely look at what other uses I can put it to. Don't think I will have trouble using it. Quite sure there must be plenty of middle eastern and Indian markets around here. There are actually several 'World Farmer's Markets' around where I work that would probably carry it as well.

Looking forward to your cake that SWMBO is making for my birthday on Tuesday!

Quite sure there must be plenty of middle eastern and Indian markets around here. There are actually several 'World Farmer's Markets' around where I work that would probably carry it as well.

Halal markets, mercados, Asian markets, all fantastic places depending on what you're looking for, and most major cities will have at least one of em. Cinnamon sticks at a major supermarket around here are something like $10 for a half ounce. The halal market up the road sells them several ounces for $2-3. And that goes for just about every spice out there. We also get all our produce from a local Asian market. A lot fresher, a lot cheaper, and much better selection.

For the first time I'm watching live and not the next day oh Hulu. That looked like a tough challenge. I felt bad for Ben. But since he was plating it seemed that the owner and executive chef liked the presentation of Red team over blue on most dishes.

30 minutes in. Ben, Suzy & Christian waiting for news.......Darn commercial.

Update.

Yes!!!! Ben lives to see another day! Whoo Hoo!

Anyone else think that consolation prize was a little un-subtly self-promoting? A year's worth of free MasterChef™ cooking classes, which anyone can take (hint hint) but for you it's free!

Back