1968 London ESB Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exo

Reaction score
A question about this yeast, 1968 London ESB Ale Yeast from Wyeast.

I know it's extremely flocculant, so I'm wondering is this beer near completion? Recipe (Winter Ale) is in my signature.

Since racking to secondary there has been no bubbling whatsoever. Is it possibly done and I'm best off letting it hold in the secondary for another 1-2wks for 3wks total (at 64deg.) or should I rouse the yeast cake a little? The bottom seems devoid of yeast, but the edges at the bottom have some yeast. If the grav. was a LOT higher I'd think about a second pitch of this yeast.

OG was 1.062 and secondary racking it was 1.016. Given the recipe, what's a good target for bottling?

On a side-note I've read that this is such a flocculant yeast that some bottle without having carbonation because nearly no yeast is transferred into the bottling bucket. How can I counter this?

Exo said:
A question about this yeast, 1968 London ESB Ale Yeast from Wyeast.

I know it's extremely flocculant, so I'm wondering is this beer near completion? Recipe (Winter Ale) is in my signature.

Since racking to secondary there has been no bubbling whatsoever. Is it possibly done and I'm best off letting it hold in the secondary for another 1-2wks for 3wks total (at 64deg.) or should I rouse the yeast cake a little? The bottom seems devoid of yeast, but the edges at the bottom have some yeast. If the grav. was a LOT higher I'd think about a second pitch of this yeast.

OG was 1.062 and secondary racking it was 1.016. Given the recipe, what's a good target for bottling?

On a side-note I've read that this is such a flocculant yeast that some bottle without having carbonation because nearly no yeast is transferred into the bottling bucket. How can I counter this?

LOVE that yeast. I'd say its pretty much done. Looking back on my notes I had mine finish at 74% attenuation. Yours works out to about 73%. Rack it!

Do not worry about bottling and not having enough yeast. It'll carb fine.

ALSO--flocculation and attenuation are two very different things. Flocculation is how much the yeasts come together at the end of fermentation, attenuation is how much sugar the yeast usually eat, which I think you are confusing for flocculation.

http://www.whitelabs.com/terms.html

I got my terms correct. What I meant by the yeast being highly flocculant is that I'm worried it settled out prior to fermentation having been completed.

From that link:
If yeast flocculate too early, the beer will be underattenuated and sweet.

When racking from primary to secondary the yeast cake was extremely clumpy but smelled just fine (in terms of yeast) and I attributed to the highly flocculant nature of the yeasties. In fact, it was kinda clumpy when I pitched it.

Thanks for the help and tips w/ your experience Dude. I'll probably stick to a full two weeks in secondary then bottle this brew. I'm guessing that it will go to 74% in the end now that I read your post.

I was amazed to watch this brew chug away and then slow without any blow-off. Up till this brew I'd never had a brew that didn't blow-off.

Exo said:
I got my terms correct. What I meant by the yeast being highly flocculant is that I'm worried it settled out prior to fermentation having been completed.

Gotcha. ;) Just give the carboy a swirl every day or so for the next week and you'll get another gravity point or three out of it.

Sounds close to me. I don't know what fermentables you are using and how they perform, so on and so forth, but You are propably close. Maybe give it a light swirl, let it settle and call it good. Toss it in the frig for a couple days if possible.

Latest posts

Back