Possible mold rings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LasKid

Reaction score
I brewed an Irish Red extract kit and kegged it straight from the primary after a little over 4 weeks. I've been drinking it for a while and it tastes pretty good.

Twice now I've had these rings that look like rubbery mold in my beer. Is this common or should I be worried?

image-1400410583.jpg

image-3208472459.jpg

that is NOT common!

are you sure you bottles are clean before you fill them. it looks like you reused bottles, didn't rinse them right after you drank out of them, mold grew in the bottles, and you bottled beer in bottles filled with mold.

It's not bottled, it's kegged. And I sanitized everything and used new tubing.

The one problem I had when I tapped the keg was a little bit of beer blew back into the co2 line. I'm wondering if that's where these things came from.

i find it hard to believe that that big chunk passed through a ball lock valve. if anything, maybe your air lines or regulator are infected now, and they are contaminating your keg??? (the mold grew inside the keg)

the way i keg is as follows and does not give much of a chance for mold growth: i ferment, then rack into my keg, pressurize the keg, and immediately put it into my kegerator to carbonate. since the clean kegged beer is going right into 40 degrees i think it prevents any mold that can grow in beer from growing.

@Dogphish-That's what I did. Since my kegerator was open while I was cleaning it, it did take a while for it to get back down to 40 though.

I even have my tower cooled to the point where I get condensation on my faucet, so I'm not sure where there is enough warmth for the mold (if that's what it is) to grow.

@beaksnbeer-This was the first time I've used the keg and it came from CornyKeg.com sanitized. Before I used it, I sanitized it again but I didn't remove the posts.

Any additional thoughts on this? I have my second beer in the primary right now and I'd like to prevent this from happening again if possible. It doesn't bother me since the beer is good, but I don't want a friend getting one in his beer!

The mold was in the faucet. Never happened with commercial kegs so I didn't think of it. Knowing is half the battle.

Back