How big is your MLT cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheKern

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to brewing (I brew with a buddy of mine that has a complete single tier brewery) and started compiling my own equipment to being brewing on my own. My plan is to brew 5-6 gallon batches, partial mash.

I've checked into the various threads out here for PM and as of right now I’m unsure how big of a MLT I need. I have an 8 gallon HLT and a 10 gallon BK (so I have plenty of capacity) I purchased a 5 gallon round Igloo cooler that I plan to convert into my MLT, if I’m brewing 6 gallon batches will that be too small? I would eventually like to get into AG brewing someday which is the reason why I purchased larger SS kettles.
Having never done a partial mash brew on my own before I’m unsure how much grain I’m going to be using and how much liquid I’ll be adding to the mash.

Thanks in advance for your posts.

I use a 72 qt extream cooler, holds around 38lbs of grain and 10 gal water,
I do 10 11 12 and 15 gallon batches..
I think that your would need at least a 8 to to gal 32 to 40 qt cooler
it depends on how big of a beer your making, higher SG = more grain and sparge water= bigger cooler

Bobby, thanks for the chart, thats extremely helpful. I think if i want to one day to an all grain batch on my system I would be making it out with the 5 gallon mash ton. But seeing how I'm sticking to partial mash for right now I have plenty of room.

I want to get a few partial mash brews under my belt before I switch over to all grain. I still have a lot of modifications to make (ball valves on my kettles, figuring out how to transfer from kettle to kettle seeing how I have limited space). I'm sure I'll run into a handful of issues seeing how I haven't done a solo brew yet so I'm ok with cutting a few corners by doing a partial mash for a couple of months.
Thanks again for your help

Latest posts

Back