Ginger Peach Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtopia

"Greenwood Aged Beer"
Reaction score
Just brewed my Ginger Peach Hefeweizen for the second time. The first batch came out great with 5 lbs of fresh peaches and 4oz of fresh grated ginger in a 5 gallon batch. I'd not heard of any commercial brewery doing a Ginger Peach wheat until I went to GABF this year and saw that Dogfish Head was pouring one at their booth. I had a chance to talk with Sam and he explained that there is no real fruit or ginger in their version. Instead they use a Ginger Peach Black Tea. So I thought I'd try and go that route this time around and see what happens.
I placed the full 2.8oz. package of Republic of Tea Brand Loose Leaf Ginger Peach Tea in a cheesecloth bag, brought my brew water up to a boil, turned off the heat, tossed in the bag and let steep for 5 minutes. I pulled the bag out and added the remaining ingredients as normal. I was a bit worried that a lot of the aroma and flavor would boil off in the kettle. I just racked to the seconday last night and drew off a sample for my hydrometer reading and to taste. The aroma was amazing, full ripe peach and the flavor of both peach and ginger was very evident. I'm hoping it carries through all the way to the tap. Not really a style I like to drink during the dark days of winter but really wanted to try it with the tea. It gave me the idea of brewing with a variety of different teas in different beer styles. Anyone else brewed with flavored teas? Oh yeah, and this particular tea is caffenated as well. Maybe instead of my morning coffee...

I've thought of using teas to flavor my beer before. But one thing lead me not to do it. Tannins. Tea ussually contains a lot of tannins.

I did make a mead out of Rooibos tea once, it turned out pretty good since Rooibos is a low tannin tea, just like any red tea. Black teas have the highest tannin levels of teas, except for certain herbal teas.

I would of used peach flavoring in the finished beer and used freshly grated small ginger root in the secondary.

Do let us know if the teabrew turns out.

This was a concern of mine as well until I tasted the Dogfish Head Ginger Peach Wheat. We'll see. I'll post when it's kegged and on tap. Initial tasting at racking was very good.

Just tapped the Ginger Peach Hefewiezen and it tastes amazing. Full peach flavor up front and the ginger becoming more evident as it warms a bit. I will definitely do this again with the tea.
I would of used peach flavoring in the finished beer
I have used the fruit flavorings before and have never been happy with the results. They always taste fake to me.

Back