Automatic Keg Cleaning System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryHill

Reaction score
I'm posting this here after discussing it in chat; if it has been addressed here before, Mods, just kill the thread.

There I was, surfing Brewing Network for Jamil's shows, (they are over for good now :( ), when I ran across the Gadgets page there. And I found this:

The Brewing Network.com - Doc-Tasty-Style-Keg-Cleaner | Beer-Gadgets

Using this (or your own iteration) : Kegging Takes the Work Out of Homebrew Bottling on the left of the page, and your own MFL in/out QD's, and a small pump, perhaps your current ice bath pump. I would be standing in the plumbing aisle of Lowe's picking parts, and use a much smaller pump.

Does anybody use this or something similar, and how do you like it?
IMG_1715.jpg
IMG_1789.jpg

It looks cool, but looks like way more work than letting your keg sit overnight with oxyclean in it. I just pump a little co2 in it and slightly depress the out poppet to fill the dip tube.

henry
i'm thinking of doing this as a cleaning between beers. i usually tear down a keg every 2-3 brews and this looks like a good way to clean in between each batch

I have been staring at those pictures for awhile and what comes to mind is;

Wouldn't it be better, cheaper and easier to have one side of the keg attached to the submersible pump and the other sides tube going into the sink or bucket of cleaner? I don't know much about fluid motion but it would seem that the way it is set up would have less fluid flowing through the parts.

Am I missing something?

Shown with sump pump style pump. Not configured like March pump. Inlet is at the bottom of the pump. Output goes thru both poppets and exits the keg thru the lid hole.

ohhhhhh, i didnt even notice there was no lid on the keg. i get it now. it looks like a great idea

I built one of these and it "seemed" to work well. But I had a bunch of kegs to do so I ran them all thru the water/oxiclean wash and then ran out of time. I gave them a fast rinse with hot water. A week later I got to run hot water thru them again with the pump. Then I set them aside for a week or two before I got around to kegging some beer. When I opend them up they all had a white powder in them and one looked like dried yeast all over the out side dip tube.
Either way, they were not clean.

Not sure if it was because I did not run the water thru right away but I don't think so because I did rinse them and where all the crap was would have been rinsed at that time.

Back