to chill or not to chill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfman

Reaction score
so i brewed my 1st barleywine. between the blowoff and transferring from carboy to carboy i ended up losing about a gallon of brew. when i went to bottle i went through my normal routines and added enough dme for a five gallon batch. its been carbing for about 2 weeks and i just tried one today. it was great for being so young and carbed perfectly but i really want to age a few to see how they change. my question is should i refrigerate now to prevent over carbing or should i age them and take a chance that they will be too carbonated?

I'd leave them at room (or basement) temperature, chilling will slow the aging process down to a crawl...not ideal with a style that already takes a LONG time to age properly.

Check one in a month...if it's dramatically over-carbed, I suppose you could vent and reseal the remainder.

BLL speaks truth.

How long did you let them ferment all together. Barley wines can carry a lot of residual sugars into the bottles.

Unlike normal beers, they really need months in the fermenter.

Back