Belgian Golden Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gear101

Reaction score
11lbs Belgian Pils
2 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose)
8 oz Belgian Wheat
8 oz Honey

60 mins 0.5 Hallertau
60 mins 1.0 Styrian Goldings
30 mins 0.5 Hallertau
30 mins 0.5 Saaz
30 mins 1.0 Styrian Goldings
91 mins 0.5 Saaz

White Labs Belgian Golden Ale WLP570
or
White Labs Belgian Style Ale Blend WLP575

.5 oz Coriander, crushed
1 tsp Grains of Paradise
8 oz Honey, Orange Blossum
1 tsp Orange zest - Seville/sour

ABV 8.5% approx

this might be my next brew, but I can only get about 8 lbs of grain and water into my pot. What could I replace the Belgian Pils (or reduce with DME) and make it come out the same. Plus which of the two yeast would be better?

thanks

I like the wlp570 and just substitute in DME for whatever base grain you can't mash. I think Jamil stated that he's used upwards of 15% without a notice in change to basic recipes like this.

how much Extra Light (DME) would I need to use to reduce the grain bill down to 8 lbs fro 11lbs. I looked on the board and I knew I read it at one time but can't seem to find it again. I was thinking it was 1.2lb LME to 1lb DME to .8 grain, or something like that.
thanks for the help

thanks.. that's what i've been searching for all morning..

this was the almost final number, with a final guess of 1.011

Corrected Original Gravity : 1.071
Corrected Final Gravity : 1.011
Alcohol by Weight : 6.45 %
Alcohol by Volume : 8.21 %
Total Calories per 12oz. serving : 231
Calories from Alcohol per 12oz. serving : 160
Carbohydrates per 12 oz. serving : 17.9
Calories from Carbs per 12oz. serving : 72
Corrected SG in degrees plato : 16.60
Corrected FG in degrees plato : 2.56
Apparent Attenuation : 0.846
Real Attenuation : 0.694

6lbs Belgian Pils
3lbs Extra Light (DME)
2 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose)
8 oz Belgian Wheat
8 oz Honey

60 mins 0.5 Hallertau
60 mins 1.0 Styrian Goldings
30 mins 0.5 Hallertau
30 mins 0.5 Saaz
30 mins 1.0 Styrian Goldings
91 mins 0.5 Saaz

White Labs Belgian Golden Ale WLP570

.5 oz Coriander, crushed
1 tsp Grains of Paradise
8 oz Honey, Orange Blossum
1 tsp Orange zest - Seville/sour

Final Gravity : 1.012

Everything seemed to be turning out right so far, put this into the secondary today. Tasted alittle of the beer. Seems to be alittle bitter. hoping that smooths out here in the next month or so.

Final Gravity : 1.012

Everything seemed to be turning out right so far, put this into the secondary today. Tasted alittle of the beer. Seems to be alittle bitter. hoping that smooths out here in the next month or so.

Are you saying you transfered to secondary after only a few days? A Belgian needs plenty of time to finish out. I hope you meant the primary.

I was going to say, this thread is only 4 days old and if you're moving to a secondary already there may be some timing issues on your part.

I had a blow off tube on it and it stopped, then I took a reading and it was low, so I dropped it into the secondary. I'm hoping that it will finish by Christmas.

You can get away with transferring to a secondary after 3-4 days sometimes but its definitely not ideal. I would leave in primary for 7-10days depending on the beer

You can get away with transferring to a secondary after 3-4 days sometimes but its definitely not ideal. I would leave in primary for 7-10days depending on the beer

I transferred just about everything, but maybe 20% of the slug off the bottom, plus add the last 8 oz of honey. So it will be making a nice yeast cake on the bottom of the bucket, which I’ll just be able to spoon out. I know it sounds funny, but it’s so much easier that way.

sorry I misquoted that.. I only transferred 20% of the slug off the bottom, the get all the yeast.

I tested the gravity again the other day, after another couple days of fermentation, and its back down to 1.011. This week I might bottle it; letting it conditions in them until Christmas.

No activity in the air lock now for the last 4-5 days, going to wait until this weekend to bottle. I think it was beergolf that said most Belgium Beers in more time to condition, and that would give me a full three weeks in the bottle.

OK today is brew day, so this is going into the bottle, than another 2-3 week.. might be for new years in place of X-mas

ler it set for a little while longer will go into bottles on monday

In the future, would you consider swapping out the extract you used with pilsen extract? As that's what you're replacing, I wonder if you'd gain some flavor that way. Most of the online suppliers carry it now.

Cool,I really dont buy that much online, here in Des Moines we have a REALLY good LHBS that keeps everything on hand, I'll have to look next time I am there.

Been in the bottles for one week now.

label

BBB.jpg

Still waiting on this brew to carbonate, tried one after three days in the cooler, but not done yet.

Back