Conversion: Extract to Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackTopBrew

Reaction score
Where can I find conversion charts or tables to convert my extract recipes to grain recipes? I honed some of my recipes over the last couple years and don't want to have to start over with them. Thanks

converting extract to all grain is going to depend on the efficiency you get from your all grain process.

I get 75% efficiency on AG, so for me:

1# light DME = 1.7# 2-row
1# light LME = 1.3# 2-row

Efficiency is one thing, malt composition is another. Personally, I don't think there is a secret recipe converter. I've convertered a few using decent assumptions and good guesses.

Why not post a few of your recipes and let the hive-mind have a crack at converting it for you.

Efficiency is one thing, malt composition is another. Personally, I don't think there is a secret recipe converter. I've convertered a few using decent assumptions and good guesses.

Why not post a few of your recipes and let the hive-mind have a crack at converting it for you.

Agreed. My info was just an example of converting light colored extract into base grain.

If you use (for example) wheat extract, then you actually have something that is partly 2-row and partly wheat malt. The proportions vary fro each manufacturer of extract.

If you use dark colored extracts, you might find yourself working in the dark. I don't know if extract manufacturers even tell you what they use to darken the stuff.... could be one or more of a number of things used to color it.

If someone could take a crack at this one I would be grateful. This is my goto right now and everyone loves it. I am cutting and drilling the keggles this weekend.

Category: American Ale
Subcategory: American Amber Ale
Recipe Type: Extract
Batch Size: 5 gal.
Volume Boiled: 2.5 gal.
Mash Efficiency: 72 %
Total Grain/Extract: 7.68 lbs.
Total Hops: 1.25 oz.
Calories (12 fl. oz.): 233.4

Ingredients
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 lbs. American 2-row
1 lbs. American Caramel 60°L
1.6 lbs. Dry Extra Light Extract
1.0 lbs. Dry Light Extract
2.0 Amber Extract
1.0 lbs. Corn Sugar
0.25 oz. Perle (Whole, 8.25 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
0.25 oz. Willamette (Whole, 5.00 %AA) boiled 15 minutes.
0.75 oz. East Kent Goldings (Whole, 5.00 %AA) boiled 2 minutes.
1 ounces Irish Moss 15 minutes
Yeast: Safale 05

Vital Statistics
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Gravity: 1.058
Terminal Gravity: 1.013
Color: 12.74 SRM
Bitterness: 9.9 IBU
Alcohol (%volume): 6.0 %

Back