Might Be a Stupid Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popscube

Reaction score
First time cider maker and I realized, I've made a few mistakes already. 1)following recipe that didn't call for checking the O.G. 2) Using champagne yeast, which now I realize is probably going to make for a very dry cider. I will be adding blueberries to the secondary which leads me to my question. It's been in the primary for 7 seven and the percolating is still going strong. Does the percolating stop? I want to add blueberries and put it into a secondary, but wondering if I should wait for the percolating to stop? The secondary is going to be in a glass carboy, I don't want to risk making a blue bomb. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
popscube

There's no stupid questions, especially just starting out..ask all you can, it's the only way to learn. With that said, I'd start with something a bit simpler. Making a cider, mead, melomel, or whatever with fruit, takes work and the right tools. For making a blueberry cider, You'll need to read up on how to "punch the cap" daily, taking sugar break readings, etc etc. then you can transfer, put on the airlock and add more blueberries if you so choose. It is a delicate process to get a good tasting end result.

Dan

Latest posts

Back