Would you trust dry yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinstone

Reaction score
Going to start some German lagers for my Octoberfest in the fall. Dry yeast is so much easier than a starter and decanting etc. would you be afraid to trusting a 4 month beer to 34/70? Or even more scary the unproven mangrove jacks. With an ale I've been happy, but that a lot of time and space. Thanks.

Dry yeast can make some excellent beer. It's just not as style-specific as liquid can be. I use either liquid or dry as needed. Just bottled a batch of SMASH beer (Vienna/Amarillo) that used Nottingham dry. Currently fermenting a Belgian utilizing WLP530 and a stepped-up starter.

Just make sure you pitch a sufficient amount (check Mr. Malty) and rehydrate the dry yeast in warm tap water before using.

Going to start some German lagers for my Octoberfest in the fall. Dry yeast is so much easier than a starter and decanting etc. would you be afraid to trusting a 4 month beer to 34/70?

Dry yeast is just fine. I love 34/70 but would probably go with S-189 or S-23 for your O-fest.

Dry yeast is just fine. I love 34/70 but would probably go with S-189 or S-23 for your O-fest.

Now I will be making 2 lagers for octoberfest. But they will be a dortmunder and a helles. Possibly a pils.

I dont get it

Well, unfortunately I don't like The Octoberfest style, so I don't brew it. I do love other German beers just not a fan of that beer. I have read that Octoberfest beers aren't even served at Octoberfest in Germany anymore.

So......to explain, I will be making some German beers for a party I am going to have in the fall. And I am glad to report I will feel safe with the dry yeast, even on a 3 month beer! Thanks for the replies.

Back