Simple Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosquitocontrol

Reaction score
So I've been on an unscheduled hiatus for about 2 months. Mainly because a shiny new iphone depleted my kegerator fund and I really hate bottling (I have 5 batches waiting and have been waiting for about a month).

Anyway, I'm sick of having my A/C set to 68 so that my beers stay cool. I've finally moved into a slightly larger apartment and turned the walk-in closet into a brew closet (Although it is still overflowing). I was hoping I could use my 3 cubic ft mini-fridge (without a door) and create a box out of sheets of insulation just large enough to fit 4 buckets/carboys. The intention is when I needed access I could just lift the whole box off (or the lid). The beer should be cold enough to stay stable temperature until the fridge could cool it down again. Assuming I good get an okay "seal" is it reasonable for this to keep my brew around 65F so I don't have to keep my A/C on so much? Will I have to add some circulation fans inside (sounds complicated)?

Or should I just have to save up money to make it the right way? I really don't want to put in money if I don't have to, since I'm pretty strapped repaying debt through the end of the year. And after that I want to go straight back towards end game of a kegerator. I do not want to go the swamp cooler or ice bottle route as I guarantee you I cannot remember to check on it everyday.

Come on, tell me all the reasons my plan may or may not work.

I've seen this done before. As long as you seal it well, I don't see why it wouldn't work. You'll need a temperature controller though because I think the fridge will keep 4 carboys at around 50 degrees. Also, I'd buy a couple small fans to move the air around as you've said.

That's why I was hoping. I've had te temperature controller. Probably just pick up a small fan to place in the middle. Good thing I've got a home depot gift card so hopefully will add up to less than 20 out of pocket. Thanks!

Back