Burnt batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zadig39

Reaction score
I just brewed a partial mash pale ale. When I added the extract
I didn't stir soon enough and burned some of it to the bottom of the pot. I spooned most of the black crude off, but this has got to affect the tasted. Anyone have this experiance before? What can I expect?

I remember reading a couple threads in the past of people who had the same problem. I would search through those and see if anyone ever posted their results. It is probably safe to bet that there will be a burnt flavor. Who knows though, maybe you can sit on it for awhile and aging could work wonders. Whatever you do, don't dump it even if it tastes bad at first!

Yeah, I did that the first time I used my propane burner. :eek:
The batch is in bottles now about 1 week.

On bottling day the beer tasted good, but I think I detect just a hint of burnt after taste. My Bride assures me that she cannot detect it, and I know her to be sensitive to such flavors. (She is also sometimes nice to me, but in this case I believe her).

Anyway I'm confident that if the flavor is there it will mellow with time.

Overall the beer is still good. Better than drinkable, but a little short of what it could be.:p

Back