LCD or Plasma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna have to look into the Samsung unit. Any idea which model that one is? I have to admit, I have usually steered clear of Samsung due to a rep they had for poor QC in the past - lots of lemons.

I broke down and went to AVSForum.com and saw this yesterday.

Seems like lots of people looking at TVs now, myself included. My old CRT is finally dying.

I am looking at this one due to it being good bang for the buck: http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=181403&WT.mc_n=4&WT.mc_t=U&cm_ven=COMPARISON%20SHOPPING&cm_cat=GOOGLE&cm_pla=DATAFEED-%3EPRODUCTS&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_keycode=4

I'm not into gaming, so I don't mind that it's only 720p. It looked real good in the store. The 50" version is $100 more at BBuy.

Any thoughts? Haven't pulled the trigger yet.

BTW - check out black friday ads .net (or something like that - google it). they have the TVs that will be on sale Friday. I don't want to wake up before dawn for a handful of deals, but others may be interested in doing so...

blacklab said:
The answer for the average person is LCD. The quality/price tradeoff is the best. If you are a complete quality nut, DLP. No one should buy a plasma these days, they are more expensive and do not last as long - and, if you live above 2000 ft or so, they produce an audible 'buzz'.

I worked in the industry for 15 years, and was involved in the transition from analog to digital(Stan def to high def started happening long before the public saw it). I just purchased a 47" Vizio LCD for what it's worth. I also own a Sony LCD. They are virtually indistinguishable as far as quality goes.

Anyway - my two cents.
Plasma is not more expensive than LCD. At equivalent screen sizes, plasma holds and has held a fairly consistent price advantage to LCD.

Since most of the price of flat TVs is tied up in the panel itself, the change in price is roughly proportional to the change in screen area. When comparing all LCD TVS against all plasmas in the size ranges where they both make TVs, plasmas price per square inch advantage is about 10 to 20%.

For pricing at a given screen size:
3LCD (HTPS) Projection = DLP < LCOS (D-ILA and SXRD) < Plasma < LCD

I am not sure what an average viewer is - I think there are several types of viewing habits that are distinctly different and for each type of viewer, a different TV may be the best match. For example, I watch a lot of sports and fast action. All but the top of the line LCDs (120Hz and 8ms response time or better) have visible motion artifacts to me. I also see the rainbow effect on DLPs, so they are out as well for me. Someone who doesn't like sports and watches a lot of movies where flesh tone reproduction is the most important factor may choose differently.

The Black Friday pricing is at bfads dot net. If you are into DLP, the 65" Mits at BB and 65" Tosh at CC are both $1499 - that is just insane.

Just bought it. I almost think Fry's had a mix up it only cost $1,100! For a 42" 1080p not bad. Just watched part of Return of the King with my B.I.L. and he thought the image was better than either his LCD or DLP.

Back