About to start my third batch a bit confused on recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiako

Reaction score
Each of the hops is label with time I drop them in. 60 min, 15 min then one says dry. Not sure what that means. Oh this is an IPA with boosted alc content with dextros.

Is there any special way to steap the grains? Last time I just put them in the sock and dipped them in and out.

The hops are labeled with how long to boil them for. The 60 minute ones you drop in once you have a boil going, 15 minute ones go in with 15 left in the 60 minute boil, and the dry hops go in the primary as a dry hop after fermentation is complete.

Regarding steeping grains, just leave them in the pot just like you would a tea sack. Dip in and out every once in a while, but primarily leave them in there. Also, make sure to keep an eye on your temps. Anything over 165-170 would start releasing harsh tannins into your wort.

60 min = add at beginning of boil and leave in for 60 minutes.
15 min = add with 15 minutes left in boil.
Dry = after primary fermentation has finished, rack into secondary fermentor on top of dry hops and leave for 1-2 weeks

Steep the grains at around 160 for 10-30 minutes.

I would suggest steeping your grains between 150 and 160, these are more similar to mash temps, and if you ever decide to brew all grain, you'll be used to this common temp range.

As Rsmith179 states, anything over 170 is pushing the boundaries of tannin extraction. And 170-175 is a normal sparge temp, again if you choose to brew all grain in the future, another common temperature to be aware of.

Now do I just drop the extra dextrose to boost the alc content in with the malt?

I just finished and I am going to pitch in a few hours. Anyways my beers have been having a yeasty flavor. Some people highly suggest that I leave it in prime until it stops bubbleing. Then two days after rack to secondary. Do you all think I should do it?

I just finished and I am going to pitch in a few hours. Anyways my beers have been having a yeasty flavor. Some people highly suggest that I leave it in prime until it stops bubbleing. Then two days after rack to secondary. Do you all think I should do it?

Well, bubbling isn't a very good sign of activity. It can bubble just because the barometric pressure changes. Hydrometer readings are better.

Still, if you leave the beer for two weeks in the primary (about a week after it is finished), then rack it to secondary and leave it for 2 weeks before bottling, it should be clearer and less "yeasty" when you bottle it. Since you add priming sugar to the bottle to get it to carbonate, it needs at least three weeks in the bottle and then a few days of being chilled to really not have any "yeasty" bite.

You'll be happy with the result if you leave it in primary longer. I usually go at least 3 weeks before I transfer to secondary for a week or two.

Also, when you pour your beer, are you making sure to leave the yeast at the bottom behind?

Yeah I leave a little at the bottom. So far all my beersv don't taste bad but they do have a strong yeast bite maybe astingnet. I went back and tasted a blueberry beer that was in the bottle months and it tasted great. Last beer carbed but not very well.

I think I have just been racking the beer to early.

Latest posts

Back