Welding ball valve coupler on Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjham9985

Reaction score
Hey everyone. First post on HBT. Been doing some extract brewing with my two buddies and are now moving to all grain as we have gotten bored. After looking for 2 months, we have finally come across a keg to turn into a keggle. Just ordered some SS ball valves and couplers from BargainFittings.com , but as we are waiting for our order to arrive, I'm wondering how high from the bottom of the keg to weld the coupler. Any advice from you guys would be appreciated. Hopefully this can get welded up this weekend.

As close to the bottom as posible I welded mine just above the curve because I used nipples and the curve would have interfiered with the valve.

breweryplussome016-1.jpg

My 10 cents would to weld in a tri clamp ferrule. The clamp is super handy and easy to clean and is not any harder to weld on than a coupler. You will appreciate the investment down the road.

Trust me it is far more work and time to grind off the coupler and then weld in a tri clamp ferrule when you want one down the road. That being said, they are more expensive, so no one will blame you for just using a coupler.

glad to have you on HBT

Ya you can just see the fitting for my electric element in line with the drawer handle. But the pic also serves to show a good spot for a regular side fitting. But the bottom drain makes it absolutely amazing for cleaning.

Back