Brew rig questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbulger

Reaction score
Im currently constructing my brew rig. I have my bedframes cut, my march pump, kettles, mashtun and brass quick disconnects from mcmaster-carr. I am doing a single tier one pump batch sparge system like bobby m.

Whats the best high temp tubing to use with the pump?

I am going to use two lengths of hose connected to the pump. On each end of the hoses there will be female disconncts. which will meet male peices on the bk, mt, Hlt, resturn manifold and whirlpool apparatus.
To connect the hose to the pump i was going to use 1/2 hose barbs (probably brass for now) to the inlet and a ball valve on the outlet.

Should i be worried about threading metal onto the plastic threads of the march pump? Should i just thread the ball valve directly to the pump on the outlet side?

Will recirculating boiling wort through the whirlpool chiller be sufficient for sanitizing?

I agree with AGBrewer, but to expand on a point or two...

Use teflon tape on the fittings that you mate to the plastic pump head. It's not absolutely required, but will help seal without over tightening.

what kind of chiller you planning to use?

It sounds like he's going immersion chiller with a pumped whirlpool like Jamil.

I've been running my pump without a throttling valve on the output but perhaps I will have to in order to slow down mash recirculation. I've only used the pump to go from kettle, through CFC, into fermenter.

I recirc the wort through the pump and chiller back into the kettle for the last 5 minutes of the boil to sanitize it all. No problems.

Latest posts

Back