1 recipe, 2 different yeasts, good results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinDuluth

Reaction score
Started 8 gallons of a cider/malt recipe and split it into two different 4 gallon batches with different yeasts added to both. The recipe is as follows:
5 gallons organic apple cider
2 cups brown sugar
3lbs DME boiled 40 minutes
1lb Orange Blossom Honey
1lb Briess Carapils steeped for 30 minutes before boiling with DME

Batch #1 had White Labs WLP013 London Ale, Batch #2 had White Labs WLP565 Saison l.
I have only taken samples of both during bottleing so far.
Batch #1 tastes good but not too exciting with mostly the sweetness of the orange blossom honey being the most noticeable taste. I'm excited about batch #2, tasting like a classic Belgian Wit or Grand Cru with the apple taste still being noticeable and tasty. Was thinking I could even enter this as an Apple Belgian Wit if i wanted to. Hopefully the flavor added by the yeast will only increase with aging. Also still a fan of orange blossom honey with cider, finding it much more noticeable then other honeys in the finished product. I'll keep you updated on the finished product. :ban:

This sounds very tasty, almost an apple braggot. Have you tried subbing out the brown sugar in favour of an equal amount of honey? Regards, GF.

Back