Milk crates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try local grocery stores. I used to work at one years ago, and our dairy dept. would throw them out every once in awhile. They were still good, just not 100% perfect.

If you can't get milk crates, file crates (from staples or office depot) with a cutout piece of ply or cardboard for the bottom work just as well. If not better, since they hold about 8 more. I got about 6 or so for free on freecycle just for asking.

Target currently has crates like these for $2.99 - look in the back to school section or where they have the laundry baskets.

I found these, http://www.usedmilkcrates.com/, a few weeks back. However, no prices or shipping costs listed on the website. I'd be careful about those cheap milk crates. I used them in college and the handles tend to be sharp. Carrying a full carboy may be painful. The Container Store is probably a better deal.

FYI, the website above also carries a variety of liners for square and rectangular crates. Thinking of picking some up for storing 16 oz. EZ-cap bottles.

all the crates I find in stores are flimsy now. Not the solid thick plastic ones actually used for Milk. I don't want one for bottles, I want some for hauling full carboys. Can't find them either.

all the crates I find in stores are flimsy now. Not the solid thick plastic ones actually used for Milk. I don't want one for bottles, I want some for hauling full carboys. Can't find them either.

yup, the Target/Menards variety are more like crates for office filing. They hold 6.5g carboys, but they make me nervous. Like a previous posted mentioned, I have plywood on the bottom of mine.

For my 5g carboys, I do have a few of the heavy-duty old fashioned kind. The guy at 7-11 told me to take a few so I did.

If you're driving through Lexington KY ( as I was this past Thursday ) these guys have acres of milk crates and other brew type goodies. Someone posted the link in another thread and I planned a stop on the way back from Charlottesville, VA. Unfortunately, I barely had room to pack in a dozen.

Latest posts

Back