First Dunkel-Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jun

Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew my first Dunkel-Weizen and I thought I ask
if there is something that I need to be aware of before brewing or if you have any suggestions as far as AG recipes, brewing, fermenting.

I just brewed my first Dunkelweizen and it turned out great! It was my second AG batch. I used the recipe out of Brewing Classic Styles (I had to adjust the amounts for 80% eff, though)

Here's the 5 gallon recipe out of the book which assumes 75% efficiency:

Single infusion @ 152
2 lbs Pilsner malt
6.9 lbs Wheat malt
3 lbs Munich malt
6 oz Special B
6 oz Crystal 40
2 oz Carafa Special II

90 min boil
1 oz Hallertau 4% (60 min)

Ferment @ 62F
Wyeast 3068/WLP300

There's also alot of great recipes here on the database.

Cheers! :mug:

There's also alot of great recipes here on the database.

Cheers! :mug:

There are also lots that have not been tested by many. Not to shy you away from any just be aware that just because it is there, doesn't mean they're great. Just keep an eye out. There are certain people known for making good recipes.

There are also lots that have not been tested by many. Not to shy you away from any just be aware that just because it is there, doesn't mean they're great. Just keep an eye out. There are certain people known for making good recipes.

+1 I got bit on a 10 gallon batch. oh well, live and learn.

thanks gut for the warning,
I just found a Hacker-Pschorr Dunkle Weisse clone recipe on BYO.com
That has to be the best Dunkel Weisse I ever tried, than again the beer was really fresh when I got my hands on it.

I brewed one with a triple decotion of 55% malted wheat, 41% Munich Malt 10L and 3% Carafa II spacial and about 11 IBU with WLP300. I compared to Franziskaner and it's a little darker, a little sweeter with slightly more pronounced banana/clove. Subbing in some Pilsner for some of the Munich would probably get it very close. I like it just as it is.
http://hopville.com/recipe/30720/weizen-weissbier-recipes/dunkelweizen

Back