White Labs WLP001 for a porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChubbyBrewer

Reaction score
I've got a batch in the primary that used this yeast and am going to attempt to harvest it after watching some YouTube videos on how to do it. Seems pretty simple. Can i use this yeast for a porter? I'll be doing a starter with it a day ahead. Its only my 3rd brew.....

i did, but won't be opening the bottles for another couple weeks.

that is pretty much my 'go to' yeast when i can't think of anything else.

also, i always buy a couple extras of those, because i can pretty much use it for any ale type beer.

Nice, i'm about a month away from being able to pull the trigger on brewing another batch so let me know how it comes out. Just seems crazy to keep buying a small vial of yeast for $6 when i have several in the bottom of the fermenting bucket.

i can tell you this... i always sample when i bottle, and it was the first brew i've made where i was actually disappointed when the hyrdometer sample ran out.

i'm truly looking forward to it.

i've never harvested yeast before... let me know how that comes out... i'll trade you

Still really new to this whole home brewing thing so i was under the impression that the white labs stuff was significantly better than the dry yeast. Maybe i'll do the dry yeast with a starter and just harvest the white labs for practice.

Your liquid yeast can be superior to the dry yeast in that it has many more varieties available. Using a starter with dry yeast isn't usually very productive because of the number of cells in the packet and the chance that you may not increase that by much with making a starter.

I used the new Danstar "west coast" ale yeast in a American Porter. Turned out very good. I believe its the same strain as WLP001, & US-05, but I've been wrong before in my life.. just once though :)

Still really new to this whole home brewing thing so i was under the impression that the white labs stuff was significantly better than the dry yeast. Maybe i'll do the dry yeast with a starter and just harvest the white labs for practice.

Dry yeasts don't need starters for a variety of reasons, just rehydrate and you're good to go. Lots of threads here on it.:mug:

To the OP: I recently brewed a BYO recipe for porter which called for WLP001 (but I didn't really pay attention to that one and used WLP002)...

It came out great with WLP002, probably just as good if not better with 001.

Latest posts

Back