One smack pack - two starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmedved

Reaction score
I'm planning doing a partigyle in April for my birthday. Is it possible/advisable to split a smack pack and make two starters from it?

why not make one starter. then split it into two (after 2 or 3 gajillion new cells)?

I just figured it would be easier this way. I could grow each one to the size I want instead of trying to measure them out later.

I am no expert, but I would say no. What you could do is make a say 1 liter starter, step that up to a 2-3 liter starter and pitch 2/3 of your total starter into the bigger wort.

The bigger beer would need many more yeast cell than the partigyle.

Two girls, one vial...

You can do whatever you want and it will work. I'd just recommend the fewest number of transfers as possible. So think about your equipment limitations and decide how to do it.

I do this all the time, but I'll bump up the initial starters a time or two (maybe 3 or 4) more afterwards, depending upon the gravity of the brew I'm about to make.

Absolutely no problem, just make up two starter vessels and pitch 1/2:1/2 or whatever ratio your pitching rate calculator says you need.

I've got two one-gallon Carlo Rossi jugs now (yuck), so my plan is to just what you're proposing: split up my starters at the source, develop and pitch one starter on my brew day, and bank the other half in my fridge.

I do this all the time... Going to split a German ale yeast today into 2 1000ml flasks then build up from there. It does help to have multiple stirplates.

Latest posts

Back